Setting up a "currently on board" email?

rnvattes

I have read here a couple of times about people -- seems to be mainly parents of younger kids staying at home -- setting up a "currently on board" email or thread or somesuch to communicate with people back at home?

Can someone please tell me more about this and where/how to do it? We are sailing in February for our 10th anniversary, and while I'm excited to have the alone time it will be our longest time away sans kiddos since our son was born (he is 3.5). It might be nice to be able to touch base that way, I think; we will likely bring along our laptop and set up an internet account on board.

TIA!

It's a portion of Carnival's social networking system and access is free from all Carnival ships. You can use your own laptop or WIFI enabled device or one of the machines in the ship's internet café.

Here's the link that you'll need...

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

You, and anyone who intends to respond to your thread, needs to register with Funville. There's a link near the top of the page to accomplish that.

:)

It's a portion of Carnival's social networking system and access is free from all Carnival ships. You can use your own laptop or WIFI enabled device or one of the machines in the ship's internet café.

Here's the link that you'll need...

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

You, and anyone who intends to respond to your thread, needs to register with Funville. There's a link near the top of the page to accomplish that.

So then, is it private? Or publicly viewed?

So then, is it private? Or publicly viewed?

It's public -- you do not even need to be registered or logged into the site to read it! So keep that in mind when posting, and use typical precautions like avoiding full names and whatnot.

You may want to consider signing up for a free Wordpress blog, and using the Dashboard settings to restrict membership to certain users. That does mean your friends and family would need accounts before you leave, though.

And of course, you can use Facebook these days. I'd recommend using m.facebook.com though even on a non-mobile computer, so the pages load quicker and use less data.

It's public -- you do not even need to be registered or logged into the site to read it! So keep that in mind when posting, and use typical precautions like avoiding full names and whatnot.

You may want to consider signing up for a free Wordpress blog, and using the Dashboard settings to restrict membership to certain users. That does mean your friends and family would need accounts before you leave, though.

And of course, you can use Facebook these days. I'd recommend using m.facebook.com though even on a non-mobile computer, so the pages load quicker and use less data.

But getting on to Facebook or Wordpress one must buy internet minutes. By using the "Currently on Board" forum, it is free to use from the ship.

I use it just to update people at home. If there is anything that I don't want anyone to see, I just don't write it. Also, most people don't go on to someone else's thread in that forum because the internet connection is just too slow to waste time reading someone else's thread.

But getting on to Facebook or Wordpress one must buy internet minutes. By using the "Currently on Board" forum, it is free to use from the ship.

I use it just to update people at home. If there is anything that I don't want anyone to see, I just don't write it. Also, most people don't go on to someone else's thread in that forum because the internet connection is just too slow to waste time reading someone else's thread.

Ah, I didn't know that the on board option was free!

Ah, I didn't know that the on board option was free!

Yeah... that's the attraction! Quoting myself from post #2 in this thread...

"It's a portion of Carnival's social networking system and access is free from all Carnival ships. "

Yeah... that's the attraction! Quoting myself from post #2 in this thread...

"It's a portion of Carnival's social networking system and access is free from all Carnival ships. "

Oh wow! Missed the part about it being free from on board the ship. So no internet package needed, you say????

It truly is a great way to stay in touch with those left at home...

And... yes, being publicly view can be discerning... But, figure out code words IF you need to post something sensitive from work or home!!! It can be done!!!!

And remind those who will post to your thread that THEY will need to register and get a password and screen name!!!

Here is a post from my last review that walks you through the steps...

Now this is AFTER you've got your your screen name and password... But the screens are slightly different on board than at home... thought this would help...

*** Now before I forget... Let me tell you about logging on to Funville on the carnival dot com site... This is the FREE way to post about the cruise and stay in touch with anyone left at home and just read what others need to tell you!!!

I love to read in on the threads they start... some are strictly for those on board to stay in touch with family... but some tell you how the cruise is going and what's happening...

This is my thread, that I had while I was on board...

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/for...93/792948.aspx

and here is how to log on while on board... I used my laptop in the room, but the internet cafe is right next to the Lobby Bar...

Go to Connect to...

Find the Carnival connection and click on it and connect. It's unsecured and my computer reminds me of this and asks do I want to connect anyway... YES...

Then I click on my Internet... and the Carnival screen comes up...

232323232%7Ffp532%3C9%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544796832%3Anu0mrj

Click on the top one in that reddish orange box: "Carnival Connection"

232323232%7Ffp53487%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544%3B%3A5732%3Anu0mrj

Anything in that reddish box is FREE!!! And you're doubly protected, cause, it will NEVER ask for your cabin number in any FREE area!!! So if it ever asks for your name or cabin number or birthday... STOP... You're paying for the next click... But this is FREE!!!!!

Then go to Community & Buzz...

232323232%7Ffp5339%3A%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544%3B%3A6832%3Anu0mrj

Then go to Forums...

232323232%7Ffp53493%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544796%3B32%3Anu0mrj

Then under User Groups, click on Currently OnBoard...

232323232%7Ffp53487%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544%3B%3A7732%3Anu0mrj

Then find your thread and continue posting...

232323232%7Ffp53333%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D363544797332%3Anu0mrj

Edited by LambKnuckles

We will be using the "Currently Onboard" feature of Funville on our cruise May 21 to keep in touch with our grown son and daugher. I have a 90 year old mother in a nursing home and they will be visiting her and reporting back to me. We won't be posting anything sensitive just want to know she is doing ok so that I can rest easy.

• 2 years later...

Is there any way I can send you a private message? This would be about a current board on which we've both posted -BBB, etc. I'm posting on this old thread hoping to keep it from the world to see. Also, I'm reluctant to post my personal email on line for fear of being inundated with spam.

Hope this message reaches you! :D