Advanced skate time on Freedom?

They used to have an "advanced" skating time on Freedom of the Seas, a couple of times during the week when if you brought your own skates, you could skate and it would be for only those that brought their own skates. Does anyone know if they still do that? Don't want to drag skates along if they no longer have that particular advanced skate time. I know they have regular public, general skating sessions. But, does anyone know if there is a still an advanced skate?

I don't know about the Freedom.

Last month on the Explorer, there were 3 advanced skates (usually around 9:15-10:00 AM) on our 9 day cruise. Like you mentioned, guests must bring their own skates to participate in the advanced skate. Having your own skates seems to be the only requirement. We had 2 very fast teenage hockey players who came to all the advanced sessions much to my 8 yo DD figure skater's chagrin. And at one advanced session, another little girl skated who was a beginner.

Also as a FYI: the Explorer now requires skaters to wear a helmet (provided) regardless if you are skating during a public or advanced skate session. Not sure if this is fleet wide.

My father would be thrilled by this - he was a hockey player in college and loves to skate. He's already told me he's planning to bring his skates. Do you know, is this something that he would need to reserve in advance, or are these open times?

My father would be thrilled by this - he was a hockey player in college and loves to skate. He's already told me he's planning to bring his skates. Do you know, is this something that he would need to reserve in advance, or are these open times?

On the Explorer, these were open times. You cannot reserve it. You'll find the Advanced Skate Sessions listed in the daily compass.

In April 2010, there was an advanced skate session on Freedom, however, when we went this past December 2010, there was no advanced skate. Don't want to haul skates if no advanced skate sessions. It would be nice if someone who recently sailed could look on their compass.

Archived