Insignia: Stockholm to London July 25/11

thornhill gal

We've just booked ( 2 couples) on the Stockholm to London Baltic cruise and I was wondering if anyone has any info on transfers from the airport to the ship.

We would be happy to share with others in a van if there are some arrangements already in place.

Also for transfers back to London from Dover at the end of the trip.

Any information on excursions from any stops. I've read about Red October in St. Petersburgh. Anyone booked with them? How far is is to Berlin from Warnemunde? I did this cruise in '03 and it was my first cruise I and booked all the excursions with Oceania. This time I'd like to do it myself or with guides. Any tips would be very helpful.:)

I look foward to hearing from all you experienced cruisers.

Thornhill gal

Insignia: Stockholm to London July 25/11

We've just booked ( 2 couples) on the Stockholm to London Baltic cruise and I was wondering if anyone has any info on transfers from the airport to the ship.

We would be happy to share with others in a van if there are some arrangements already in place.

Any information on excursions from any stops. I've read about Red October in St. Petersburgh. Anyone booked with them? How far is is to Berlin from Warnemunde? I did this cruise in '03 and it was my first cruise I and booked all the excursions with Oceania. This time I'd like to do it myself or with guides. Any tips would be very helpful.:)

I look forward to hearing from all you experienced cruisers.

Thornhill gal

It is about a thirty minute cab ride (without traffic) from the Stockholm Airport to the dock that Oceania uses.

For your more cruise-specific questions, you'll want to interact with the other passengers sailing on your cruise on the ROLL CALL for your voyage:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1248430&highlight=july+25

Have a fabulous time!

There is an express train from the airport to Central Station in downtown, and then you can get a fairly short cab ride to the ship. The ship's bus left the airport before we did, and we go to the ship long before they did. It was easy to get your luggage on the train, and when getting off to get to the cab stand.

You can get a 2 for 1 train fare on weekends as I recall.

There is an express train from the airport to Central Station in downtown, and then you can get a fairly short cab ride to the ship. The ship's bus left the airport before we did, and we go to the ship long before they did. It was easy to get your luggage on the train, and when getting off to get to the cab stand.

You can get a 2 for 1 train fare on weekends as I recall.

Am I the only one who would never do all that with luggage?

Stockholm is an exceptionally accessable port for English speaking people, but after a long flight, and having to keep track of the wallets and the jewelry and the passports and the electronics......

I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

Any information on excursions from any stops. I've read about Red October in St. Petersburgh. Anyone booked with them?

We were in SPB about six months before Red October started up, but I've heard nothing but wonderful reports about them. If we return to SPB, I won't hesitate to use them (or Denrus or Alla)[

How far is is to Berlin from Warnemunde? I did this cruise in '03 and it was my first cruise I and booked all the excursions with Oceania. This time I'd like to do it myself or with guides. Any tips would be very helpful.:)

I'm one of those who votes against trying to do Berlin from the ports because it's a long trip to and from. (I make the same argument about trying to see Paris from Le Havre.)

Berlin is a huge city with so much to do. I think it's a waste to drive 3 hours each way and only have a couple of hours there. Another option is Luebeck which is closer to Warnemunde and is also a lovely town that is do-able in one day. (The train goes there, as I recall.)

I've never done Berlin on a cruise, but we've been there twice in recent years -- the first time was for 7 days (originally supposed to be for 5 but we had a last minute change in plans) and the second time was for 4 days. We still haven't seen everything we want to!

My sister-in-law's daughter has lived in Berlin for 20 years and might be amenable to turning into an unofficial guide (she did an excellent job with us!) if her schedule permits ...

Oops, I meant to add info about transfer from Dover to London (or Heathrow). We used Adelphi Executive Hire last summer and they were great. Several others have also recommended them recently. http://www.adelphiexeutivehire.co.uk (Darren Parsons).

I look foward to hearing from all you experienced cruisers.

Thornhill gal

Check in with our Roll Call and Linda is looking for others to share their tour with TJ in St. Petersnberg...we are also using TJ Tours and have a group of 8 so we are full. We are taking the Berlin Trip through SPB Tours with the same 4 couples. Hope to see you onboard. We are arriving early to Stockholm and have a Taxi taking us to our Hotel...

Welcome!!!!!

I agree with bbwex that the train from Arlanda Airport to Stockholm is very efficient and easy even with luggage. However, unless you can get the 2-for1 fares it is quite pricey. We discovered it was somewhat less costly for two couples to share a cab rather than take the train. Also, be aware of the time of day you're traveling. If you land in the morning, then the train is probably the better way to go as the rush hour traffic coming into Stockholm is heavy.

We are 4 people looking for another 4 to join us on a St. Petersburg Tour as follows. This is given by TJ Tours and they will get you the visas at no extra charge. This is much cheaper than doing it through Oceania.

Let me know if you are interested in joining us. My email is sankari@optonline.net.

Irene

Day 1

10.00 Meeting at the ship

10-12.00pm City tour with a Jewish Highlights tour, a Boat trip by rivers and canals and farmers’ market. Visit to the Grand Synagogue, ESOD

12.30pm -1.30pm Typical Russian Lunch (optional)

1.30- 2.00pm inside guided tour of the Church on Spilt Blood

2:30-3.00 inside guided tour of St Isaac’s Cathedral

3.30-5pm inside guided tour of Yusupov Palace

7 p. m Return to the ship or evening optional program (theatre/folk show)

Day 2

9.00 Meeting at the ship

10-10:30Travel to Petergof by hydrofoil

10:30-12:30 Visit of the Fountain Park

Inside guided tour of one of the small palaces (Monplaisire/ Bath Block)

12:30-1:30Lunch (optional)

1:30-2:30 Travel to Tsars Village

2.30- 4:00 Catherine Palace with Amber Room( inside guided tour)

4.00-6.00pm drive back to the city- a metro trip (we will show you a couple of stations)

6 p.m Return to the ship or evening optional program (theatre/ folk show/)

Day 3

9:00Meeting at the ship

9:30-10:30 St Peter and Paul Fortress( inside guided tour of St.Peter&Paul Cathedral)

11.00 am -2.00pm the Hermitage Museum (inside guided tour)

2.00-3.00 pm Typical Russian Lunch (optional)

3.00-4.00 guided tour of Ethnography museum

4.30 pm return to the ship

As for the Gold room, they are not included into the tour, but it is possible to add them as well. But before please, read the information about booking the Gold room in the attachment.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived