Transportation in Rarotonga

Carole444

Hi there! My DH and I actually honeymoon in the Cooks 5 years ago on a land vacation. WE are on the 9/1 sail on the TP and look forward to returning to Raro for a day.

We only rode the bus when we travelled around..well excluding the one time we decided to walk from our resort along the road over to Muri Beach which Ithink turned out to be 1/2 way around teh island! long hot walk..

Anyway..the bus is very reliable. It does run ona regular schedule. You can pick it up at the shopping area downtown near where the ship tenders in and it circles around the entire island. If I remember correctly, the circle counter clockwise..so you have to know where you are going so you don't wind up taking the long way around if you are just going 1/2 way around the other way..if that makes sense. The island is small..and it circles around..

I think they have car rentals..you see more mopeds there though than cars..and they have something new called scoot cars that are like 3 wheel little scooter/cars. They didn't have them when we were there. We plan on just using the bus..it was never a problem catching it and for $3 a ride..it was a bargain. Most likely you will be hitting the outer beach areas which don't really need a car to get to..part of the way around..there is not much to see but locals houses and just stretches of beach.. You can go inner island..but mostly tourists stay around the waters.

Also..since this tender seems to rarely happen due to weather and water conditions..if you do decide to rent something..make sure you get any deposits back you may have plunked down in case the tender is cancelled..good chances of that happening..

Anyway..hope that helped

Archived