How safe is your personal items while off boat snorkeling?

JoviJ

I have a very good camera that I would like to bring on a snorkel outing. Obviously, it won't go into the water with me. I will have a backpack for my personal items. How safe is everything on say Captain Marvin's or StingRayCity tours?

I have done the stingrays about 7 years ago but I can't recall taking a good camera with me. What has been your experiences?

Thanks

Have probably been on more than 50 boat snorkel excursions and have never had a problem with theft.We have left money, glasses, cameras, binoculars. Be aware that bags can and do get wet by other passengers and equipment. Don't put your bag on the floor and avoid leaving your bag close to where the snorkelers come back on board. It is the wettest area. Once you are underway, The front of the boat will be higher than the rear where the motors are, which will allow all the water on the deck to run to the back. Leave your camera in the case and put it in a zip lock bag. Enjoy!

The charter boat staffs are very reliable. If there was something missing, you would probably notice right away, and there aren't too many suspects. And the item would still be on the boat when you complained to the captain.

Read reviews, and find charters that are recommended by several people. (Not with only 2-3 posts to their names.)

• 2 weeks later...

We've used Captain Marvin's many times and never had a problem with leaving our items (wallets, cameras, money) on the boat while we are snorkeling. I was worried about the same thing the first time we did the snorkel trip, but now we don't even think about it.

If I may assume that by "very expensive", you are an avid photographer and would not mind some additional expense to actually use your camera in the water as well. There are some really nice waterproof housings for most high end SLR cameras that you might want to check into. They cost a bit but there is nothing quite like those in-water shots at Stingray city.

Archived