Any News on how Dawn is doing in DryDock?

Husney

Does anyone have any news as to how the Dawn is doing in Dry Dock? Any surprises? Will it be spanking clean for the Boston to Bermuda run.:)

The Dawn will be spanking clean but remember the construction of the new cabins on deck 12 will continue for months.

We're on the first run out next Friday, we've been anxiously checking the shipcam each day! :D I've also been trying to find another webcam in the port, to perhaps get another view of the ship, but no such luck yet!

I did find some neat webcam views on this site: http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/Webcams/tabid/2557/Default.aspx

I'm hoping another ship will pull in and we'll be able to see the Dawn on their shipcam, but who knows if that will happen!

We'll be posting a detailed review with pics when we return, friday the 3rd. I'll try to post some quick details that AM when we dock, so the folks getting ON right after us might be able to benefit from any tips or info I might have :)

Looking forward to a sparkly and fresh ship, especially the new flat screen TV's! Hoping that they install the option to check your bill on the TV, save some paper and instant gratification!

Several comments: The Dawn webcam view is now clear of the scaffolding that went up on the foredeck when she first went into Freeport, and on several occasions the Dawn has been visible from the Sky's webcam when the Sky has been in Freeport. The Dawn is far enough distant that it was not possible to tell what was going on.

SOB

Thanks everyone. Look forward to hearing from those that are going before us as to the new upgrades and to what they think of her. We are getting really excited only 19 days to go.

There is a different picture from the webcam than there was this morning. Looks as if she's now in the water!

I agree. At 2:00 PM she was facing in one direction, in 4:00 she was facing another. You can see the lines securing her to the dock.

I remember waiting last year for news of the Star and how the renovations were going. The Dawn is getting the same kind of work done that the Star had last year.

Fun!

I don't think she'd be leaving this early for Boston. Freeport to Boston doesn't take 5 days with the speed the Dawn can get. She is definitely back in the water though and the scaffolding is gone so that is a good sign that things are well on their way. The engine must be in place and the hole in the side of the ship repaired. :)

We can only wait for intial reports from other folks sailing on Friday as to what other things may have been done. So exciting to see the re-birth of a cruise ship... may be sailing on her in January 2012. :)

NORWEGIAN DAWN

Flag: Bahamas

Ship Type: Passenger

Speed/Course: 9.5 kn / 288˚

Length x Breadth: 294 m X 38 m

Draught: 8.5 m

Destination: BOSTON

ETA: 2011-05-26 11:00 (UTC)

Received (700): 0h 1min 9s ago

(AIS Source: TowBoatU.S. Ft. Lauderdale)

Where will the new cabins be and will they be doing this as the ship is sailing?

The new cabins will be on deck 12 forward, where Spinnakers currently is (was).

Yes, they will continue construction while sailing.

NORWEGIAN DAWN

Flag: Bahamas

Ship Type: Passenger

Speed/Course: 9.5 kn / 288˚

Length x Breadth: 294 m X 38 m

Draught: 8.5 m

Destination: BOSTON

ETA: 2011-05-26 11:00 (UTC)

Received (700): 0h 1min 9s ago

(AIS Source: TowBoatU.S. Ft. Lauderdale)

Yay! That's great news for people sailing on Friday! Now where is this press release?? :confused:

Archived