best place to snorkel in southern caribbean

tenbylin

• 2 weeks later...

While in St. Thomas, if your up to going over to St. John, Cinnamon Bay is lovely. I think the snorkelling at Cinnamon is actually better than at the famous Trunks Bay, plus it is much less crowded. If you are a strong swimmer, go way out towards the little island off of Cinnamon Bay -- the fish, coral, etc. is very beautiful.

We took a cab and then the ferry from Red Hook to St Johnn last time, then an open air taxi to Cinnamon. Got a taxi back to town and took the ferry back to Charlotte Amaile near the ship.

Dominica recommended here too. Try Champagne Reef. The water is clear and warm with lots of coral and sponges. It's called Champagne Reef because there is a wall of bubbles continuously streaming up from the bottom. It can be accesssed by land or by boat, and we did it by boat. After seeing the land access from our vantage point on the water, I would choose doing it by boat.

• 2 weeks later...
While in St. Thomas, if your up to going over to St. John, Cinnamon Bay is lovely. I think the snorkelling at Cinnamon is actually better than at the famous Trunks Bay, plus it is much less crowded. If you are a strong swimmer, go way out towards the little island off of Cinnamon Bay -- the fish, coral, etc. is very beautiful.

We took a cab and then the ferry from Red Hook to St Johnn last time, then an open air taxi to Cinnamon. Got a taxi back to town and took the ferry back to Charlotte Amaile near the ship.

Is there a time or cost advantage to taking this route to St. John instead of the watertaxi or ferry from Charlotte Amaile to St. John? I'm confused as to which method of transport is most efficient & economical. Thanks-we are trying to go to both Trunk Bay & Cinnamon Bay to snorkel & beach.

We have always taken a cab from Charlotte Amalie to Red Hook for the ferry over to St. John. Seems that is the quickest to get to St. John beaches. As soon as we get off the ship, we grab a cab. Have even given a little more $ so we didn't have to wait for a full cab.

the snorkeling off Coki Beach in St. Thomas is fantastic. Calm water, many fish at waist deep water about 30 foot from shore. However, if you want a great experience, take the SS Snead from St. Thomas to Trunk Bay. You can snorkel from the boat or they'll take you to the beach. Great snorkeling - great beach.

Rich M

the snorkeling off Coki Beach in St. Thomas is fantastic. Calm water, many fish at waist deep water about 30 foot from shore. However, if you want a great experience, take the SS Snead from St. Thomas to Trunk Bay. You can snorkel from the boat or they'll take you to the beach. Great snorkeling - great beach.

Rich M

I'll second Coki Beach in St. Thomas...great snorkeling and, if you've never been, it's very easy. This is the first place I took my wife snorkeling...you'll love it!

My vote is for Cinnamon Bay St. John's. But in order to see the pretty stuff you have to snorkel around the little island there. But the water is not very deep and no problem swimming over there.

If you really want good snorkeling go to Cozumel !

Archived