Sailing the Med at Christmas Time

COLandlocked

We are thinking of sailing on the Fantasia during over Christmas 2011. Has anyone cruised during this time frame that can help us out with weather?

While we know it is winter, how cold will it get? What will the seas be like?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. THe itinerary is Barcelona, Lisbon, Casablanca, Rome, Genoa.

Thanks in advance.

Hi COLandlocked,

I think that is a good time to cruise. You should have perfect weather, for walking around the ports. Sitting out to suntan on the sea days will be a little trickier--but if you look around, you should be able to find some spots out of the wind. It could be just TOO chilly on some days, but if you can still stand it, the open decks will be wonderfully uncrowded :)

Fantasia also has one pool area that they'll likely slide the glass dome over, but that one will probably always be very crowded.

This page shows temps for Christmas last year in Genoa (hour-by-hour at the bottom):

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LIMJ/2010/12/25/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Genoa&req_state=&req_statename=Italy

And for last Christmas in Casablanca:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/GMMC/2010/12/25/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Casablanca&req_state=&req_statename=Morocco

Overall, temps should stay anywhere between 45 and 70 degrees, depending on the time of day, and the city you're in.

I was in Barcelona for a cruise in December a couple of years ago, and it was just over 70 degrees. So you could get lucky with even slightly warmer weather.

About 4 years ago I did a repositioning trip out of Genoa leaving 27 December, It was snowing in Milan when we arrived and the roads were a bit tricky getting down to genoa, but we made it fine. It was cold, pretty much the same as Scotland in December. It was stormy that night with rough seas.. However by the next morning when we arrived in Monte carlo, it was a completely different story. Sun was shining and it was 16-17. I was happy going ashore with jeans and a long sleeved tshirt and a lightweight bodywarmer - didn't need a jacket. next day in valencia was even nicer - after visting the cathedral we were happy sitting out in the main square catching the sun for an hour or so. Madeeira was warmer still. There was a party up on deck to celebrate the New year and I took a jacket up with me to wear on top of my evening dress but ended up taking it back down ro the cabin. Following day we were in to shorts and t shirts and sunbathing on the balcony a week earlier than I'd expected.

I don't know if that was typical for that time of year or whether we were lucky. the best approach is to go for layers rather than big bulky sweaters and jackets.

Archived