Gem to Bermuda in October - At Sea

I'd appreciate some help from those who have travelled to Bermuda in Oct, looking at going on the Gem and I'm somewhat concerned about the weather at sea and the ability to lay in the sun and go in the pool. I realize Bermuda itself will be very nice, but I'm just not sure about the weather while on the ship.

Thanks

I have only been once in October--the first week--and it was beautiful!! But weather at that time of year is very unpredictable--I don't think that you can count on it. If it is incredibly important that you have hot sunny weather that first sea day and the last day coming back, you could easily be disappointed. In our case it was gorgeous, even the day we left was oddly hot. Also, hurricanes are a possibility. Sailing at that time of year I think you have to go with a really open mind, and have expectations that are flexible. That's just how I see it--or you could be very disappointed.

Yep...really unpredictable.

We sailed to Bermuda in Oct. 2009...and I have a photo of myself on our balcony, sailing past the Statue of Liberty, wearing a fleece pullover. :D

Despite that, we were in the hot tub every day...even though the first and last nights were chilly. Don't think many were in the pool, but there were still a good number of people using the lounge chairs...

I remember they put the barf bags by the elevators one night, so we must have hit a rough patch at one point...

We cruised to Bermuda once in Oct and will again this year. The weather in the NE (we live in NY) can be anywhere between 50s -80s that time of year so pay attention to weather forecasts.

Once we got further south the first sea day, the weather was similar to the mid atlantic states and the same for coming back north. Able to wear short sleeves and shorts or capris, and mild enough to go in the pool. Later in the afternoon of the last sea day, it got noticeably cooler and needed a jacket.

Having said all that, you will still need to monitor the weather conditions since it can vary considerably. Oh, and for all the hurricane doomsayers, we have cruised quite often in hurricane season and never experienced one and some of smoothest seas were during this time. Actually, the roughest seas were out of NY in February!

Have a great time!

Edited by DaisyL

Well, I'm not a "hurricane doomsayer", but our Bermuda cruise last September was rerouted because of a hurricane threat to Bermuda on the day we would have gotten into port. We went to Nassau instead and had a wonderful time. Don't be afraid of problems in the fall. The seas we had were a bit rough one night, but otherwise, the cruise went smoothly. Any night you are on a ship the seas can be rough. We are sailing again in October this year. No worries!

We have sailed to Bermuda four times in October and had different weather each time but must say three of the four times it was rough sailing either down or back, but not both. One year we had to leave Bermuda at 10 a.m. rather than 4 p.m. to out run a storm coming in. It was a rough ride out of Hamilton but smooth once we got a bit out to sea.

As the others said it could be in the 50s or 80s in NYC in October and we sailed out in a Nor'easter one year but the first sea day usually have nice warm sun. Seas can be rough but we still find we love going this time of year, mostly because of the great pricing and weather in Bermuda in October.

It is always a gamble but we are booked again for this October and will continue to do so. You will love Bermuda and find it worth it no matter what the weather.

• 1 month later...

my wife and I are signed up for the Gem 2 Bermuda 1st week in October.

First time on NCL (though our kids went and loved it) and first time to Bermuda.

Really looking forward to it!

I sailed to Bermuda in late October. It was chilly for the first day 1/2. I noticed when I stepped outside on the 2nd evening the air temperature was considerabley warmer and the rest of the sailing to Bermuda was wonderful. Returning was a different story. As soon as we went beyond the barrier reef around Bermuda the water became very rough and the voyage back home was rocky to say the least. I'm a good sailor so I didn't mind but lots of pax weren't doing well. In fact, I noticed my cabin steward wearing a cocktail waiter's uniform in the bar. Apparently he was filling in for a buddy who wasn't handling the ride. The funny thing is the next day he denied this. Come on!

This was not on the Gem. But I have been on the Gem and it's a gorgeous ship. Loved it.

Edited by cruise pup

I'm booked for the 2nd week in October for 2011. I'm not really worried about the weather @ sea because if we were diverted to the Bahamas I could deal with that although I'd rather spend more time @ GSC than Nassau :D

The weather out of NYC in Oct is really hit or miss. Last year we left on the same week to the Bahamas. Leaving port was sunny and warm. Felt like Summer. Coming back was freezing, something like 40-50 degrees.

This will be our 6th sailing NYC to Bermuda of which 5 of them have been in october . We lucked out each and every time and PRAY we do this october as well.

Our experience has been that when you wake up the morning after sail away it's warm enough to lay out and use the pools on the ship. We've never had a problem. The beach weather in bermuda has also been perfect.

When you sail the end of october depending on NYC weather you will use the pool coming back from Bermuda and possibly the next morning.

All but one time we've had great/smooth seas. ONCE we hit a storm going and it was bad. 26 ft. seas for the first 30 hours. It happened only once as I've said and it doesn't deter us from going again and again and again !!!

I don't get sea sick (thank God ~ but my guy can get queezy). We bring the dramamine along w/ wrist bands.

Bands go on (him) as soon as we set foot on ship. If it's smooth he takes them off.

Only that one time I even put them on and he used that with pills and was fine.

Bermuda is magnificant. Thats why we keep going back for more , can't get enough !

Have a wonderful cruise !

my wife and I are signed up for the Gem 2 Bermuda 1st week in October.

First time on NCL (though our kids went and loved it) and first time to Bermuda.

Really looking forward to it!

are you sailing on October 2nd? Come join our roll call!

We're hoping and praying for perfect weather :)

are you sailing on October 2nd? Come join our roll call!

We're hoping and praying for perfect weather :)

us too, signed into the roll call (I think :confused:)

anyhoo, stoked as this is our first real vacation in over 3 years.

just praying for a couple of nice days @ bermuda... anything more is a bonus LOL!

Trip back from Caribbean on our voyage aboard the Explorer OTS was a rockin' and rollin' trip with 20-30' waves. I survived that so think the trip over to Bermuda will be fine.

I'm not worried, I am sailng with flyin, Tinker and youngest of 9 on the October 2nd Gem sailing. :D

We have sailed or traveled at the height of every hurricane season for the past 14 - we have yet to be sidelined by bad weather. And actually, it has always been beautiful. Maybe this is the year our luck runs out? ;) I would rather be on a ship that can be rerouted than an island that can't move. :D

Bermuda is suppose to be a high of 80, low of 74 -- sounds good to me. And it was warm enough there in May for me. So if it was warm to me in May -- then October will be fine.

Edited by crusinmama06

Our thanks to all who have posted in this thread! Your all very HELPFUL.

This is DW's and MY first Bermuda trip, but it's been somewhere we always wanted to go.

Hopefully the 10/30 sailing slips through the cracks weather and temps-wise!!;)

Bill(DrFootball)

"No matter how Random Things may appear Corporal, I always believe there's a plan. Now here in the middle of the Mexican Desert, when I need him the most, I find a fellow Ranger. Now I need your help to save another...."-Col John "Hannibal" Smith to Cpl. Bosco "B.A." Baracus...

Our thanks to all who have posted in this thread! Your all very HELPFUL.

This is DW's and MY first Bermuda trip, but it's been somewhere we always wanted to go.

Hopefully the 10/30 sailing slips through the cracks weather and temps-wise!!;)

Bill(DrFootball)

"No matter how Random Things may appear Corporal, I always believe there's a plan. Now here in the middle of the Mexican Desert, when I need him the most, I find a fellow Ranger. Now I need your help to save another...."-Col. John "Hannibal" Smith to Cpl. Bosco "B.A." Baracus...

• 2 years later...
us too, signed into the roll call (I think :confused:)

anyhoo, stoked as this is our first real vacation in over 3 years.

just praying for a couple of nice days @ bermuda... anything more is a bonus LOL!

Trip back from Caribbean on our voyage aboard the Explorer OTS was a rockin' and rollin' trip with 20-30' waves. I survived that so think the trip over to Bermuda will be fine.

Just a quick followup on our Gem cruise to Bermuda (was cleaning out my inbox and found this...)

We went on a NCL excursion - bus trip to Hamilton with a stop at a garden.

It was "ok" and intended to just quickly see half the island before venturing back on our own.

Before we got there, Bermuda had experienced a lot of rain, 2" or so according to our driver. At the garden my wife twisted her ankle in washed out gravel, requiring us (driver and myself) to carry/assist her back to the van. Unknown to us, NCL claims policy would be for the driver to take us to the hospital for treatment (the hospital was a few minutes from the garden). The driver said 'oh, just go back to the boat and they'll help you'. He dropped us off in Hamilton, told me where a drug store was. I was going to ask him to help me get my wife some help as she was clearly in a lot more pain then originally thought, another passenger and myself got her to a bench by the ferry terminal, and I turned around and the driver/van disappeared.

We managed to get back to the ferry by the NCL Gem, and i walked over and managed to convince the ship to come with a wheel chair to get my wife.

On board NCL was a pain to deal with, originally charging me for a wheel chair rental and just basically not wanting to deal with the situation.

NCL eventually came through and refunded our money for the wheel chair and excursion, after some complaining. Had we not been on an official NCL excursion we would have been completely on our own.

Just a word of caution about these things.

Well, I'm not a "hurricane doomsayer", but our Bermuda cruise last September was rerouted because of a hurricane threat to Bermuda on the day we would have gotten into port. We went to Nassau

Not to add to your doomsaying, we were doing a 5 day NYC to Bermuda last year end of October. Passed Ambrose Light and made a left. Ended up tied to a pier in Boston for 6 days as Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast. 27 lines, all ship thurstors and two tugs kept us against the pier during the 90 knot winds.

DSC05908_zpsf34f4ef7.jpg

Even after that I still will sail in October if the price is right.