X-Stream CAVE TUBING-Our Experience

starznmoon

FABULOUS!!! In fact our entire cruise was but our day in Belize City was outstanding. We had worried about getting to the shore ontime after reading this board but we did not have any difficulties at all, in fact we were almost 15 minutes early.

We were met by the somewhat famous Richard of X-stream at the port and welcomed us and then we were put in a group with our guide named Thomas. Once a few more people showed up we followed Thomas to the van. We were in a group of 12 and with our guide we had 13 in total.

The ride to the caves was interesting, the city itself was somewhat shabby but outside was better. I will warn you that once you turn off the highway the road is very rough but that part of the drive doesn't last for long, maybe ten minutes.

We parked the van and prepared to take the jungle walk. We were given tubes, very light and vests if we wanted them. Thomas asked if we wanted to order lunch and those of us that did, had an order placed. We drank some water and stored some of our belonging s in the van and we set off.

The walk was pretty easy very flat and you do walk through the river to the oposite side near the beginning which is wasn't aware of so your shoes are soggy after that. The walk along the path was quite beautiful we did not see any wild life but Thomas did tell us a great deal about the natural properties of some of the trees and the uses of them.

We did come to an area that was very busy and Thomas told us it was the Carnival cruise line group and we were very happy not to have taken it. Hoards of people lined up looking very hot and board awaiting a turn to enter the river. We walked further up/down the river for a ways, it is up or down? and we save the river again Thomas distributed lights and gave direction to us on how we would be getting into the river. Some did the jump, not I!

The river tubing part was wonderful and the water wasn't cold, I see that question quite often. It was not warm either but it cooled us off after the walk, a welcome change. Thomas had this little red laser and used it to point things out in the caves, some of the rocks in the cave resemble things, frogs, people and some areas are very picturesque, shimmering lights in the caves on the water. We did paddle somewhat but we didn't find it difficult. Thomas did assist an older man for the last part by pulling his tube but the rest of us were fine.

By the end we were ready for our lunch so after a quick change we sat down for a glorious grilled chicken lunch and a belize beer.

Then back in the van for the bumpy ride but once on the highway I was able to get a few minute of shut eye before we arrived back at the port.

I would give it a ***** 5 star rating, 5 out of 5!

Hi, we're booked with x-tream on march 31st and because of your post I e-mailed them back and requested the tour with Richard!! Thanks! We're a camping family and don't need to be impressed but the family we're traveling with does!!! I've talked this tour up to them and don't want them (mostly her) to be disappointed!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My husband is a "nervous" swimmer and he just put his life jacket on and wore it the entire time. He did not need it because the water was shallow mostly (although if I remeber right when you first enter the water on the xtreme tour it is deep but if you have your vest you will be fine) and he was in the tube the whole time but he felt calm and relaxed by keeping his life vest on the entire trip.

Our group of nine, from the Miracle, did this excursion on March 25, 2005 & our guides were Carlos & Carlos, driver name Blinkie. They were GREAT and the tour was GREAT. The lunch following was really good too & we made it back to the ship on time as promised. If I ever get the pleasure of visiting Belize again, we will definetly try this again! :)

Archived