Laptop question

YvonneE

Hi,

I wonder if those of you who have sailed could offer some insight.

Since I'm sure to take lots more pictures with my digital camera than will fit on the memory card, I thought to bring my laptop to unload the pictures and run out and do it all over again.

Then it occurred to me, maybe its possible to use the ships IT equipment to transfer the pictures and save them on cd? Has anyone tried this?

If they have laptops in the IT room (I think its called Connextions) I could insert my compact flash card right into their equipment and burn the cd (I could easily bring that), or bring my 1394 Firewire connector and transfer the pictures like this .... meaning I could leave the laptop at home!

Anyone know if this is do-able? Can you use their cd burner? Can you transfer you pictures ?

Thanks for the information in advance

YvonneE

YvonneE ----

I do not remember seeing any laptops in Connexions. All computers there are desktop with keyboard and screen only. Nor did I see any cd burner facilities. The only "capability" other than email, Internet, etc. was a printer at 50 cents/page in addition to the cost per minute you are paying for the terminals to connect. Perhaps someone else has more information. Good luck and Bon Voyage.... She is a beautiful ship!

Haven't been on the QM2 (yet - 3 weeks off) but I would be very surprised if the photo shop/gallery on board doesn't offer CD burning services. We were on an Oceania cruise last year where they would transfer digital images to a CD for something under US$10. Well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived