How are Tips for crewmembers handled?

Mom128

Hello all, I have my first cruise coming up in oh...10 days. I am planning my expenses and can't really find the amount charged for children on NCL. I found one thread that mentioned $12 a day per adult, and children under 3 free. Now my kids fall in between but by no means are they adults. Does anyone know what I can plan to have billed for the children as far as tips are concerned?

Thanks all,

Vera:o

Hello all, I have my first cruise coming up in oh...10 days. I am planning my expenses and can't really find the amount charged for children on NCL. I found one thread that mentioned $12 a day per adult, and children under 3 free. Now my kids fall in between but by no means are they adults. Does anyone know what I can plan to have billed for the children as far as tips are concerned?

Thanks all,

Vera:o

Vera,

They'll take $12 per day for every passenger over 3. I guess the philosophy is that everyone uses the staff's services and should share in the gratuities for the crew. The system seems to work pretty well since beds have to be made, meals have to be made and served, tables have to be cleaned and general ship maintenance has to be done for every passenger. There are some staff members who don't share in the tips and should be tipped separately, mainly bar and spa workers and children's club staff. I guess the thinking there is that those services only benefit those who choose to use them.

That being said, you do have a right to contest the gratuities if you think they're unfair. I don't know anyone who's done that, so I don't know how much trouble you'll have to go through and what kind of agreement you're likely to reach.

Larry

Archived