So...Carnival runs Celebrity now??

Danno

If, as some have suggested, Celebrity's intent is to try to duke it out with every other line by trying to appeal to some least common denominator, and if they are "successful" in losing their differentiation as a result, the only way they can win the war is to do it cheaper -- and doing it cheaper is likely to cause a reduction in services --- anyone detect a potential spiral here?
But where is there any evidence that suggests Celebrity is trying to 'duke it out with every other line'?

I think people are extrapolating way too much from the news that Celebrity plans to build new tonnage.

Celebrity adding more ships, dumping Horizon and Zenith, and cutting 10-day Caribbean itineraries does not equate to trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator simply because it impacts our personal cruising preferences.

Well I am a traditional cruiser, like set times for dinner and like the shows after dinner. Things change -- I don't always like it -- but I could get use to some of the changes. Do not think I would like free style cruising.

I don't like big ships and because we have to travel during school vacations as my husband is a teacher, the big ships have more people of course -- so we tend to travel on the medium size ships, we love Carnival Spirit Class and will now be trying X when we sail on the Connie 2/18/06.

So hopefully there will still be some aspects of traditional cruising left for us tradional cruisers

Profit, pure and simple. The larger ships generate more income with less expense.

This post says it all...........right or wrong, she is right........get used to it........as a public company, profit is where it is at.....

by the way, I agree with you Danno.........it's just that I'm convinced there is nothing to be done.

Well I am a traditional cruiser, like set times for dinner and like the shows after dinner.

I don't like big ships and because we have to travel during school vacations as my husband is a teacher, the big ships have more people of course -- so we tend to travel on the medium size ships, we love Carnival Spirit Class and will now be trying X when we sail on the Connie 2/18/06.

Just goes to show big and small are very open to interpretation. IMO, a medium sized ship is Zenith to Crystal Serenity size, around 40,000 to 65,000 tons. Fairly large ships are Century size, 70,000 to 80,000 tons. Definitely large ships are Carnival Spirit, RCI Radiance, Celebrity Millennium, HAL Vista class ships at 85,000 to 100,000 tons. Anything over that is huge, IMO, to gigantic.

I think some North American pax will describe a 90,000 ton ship as midsized these days, where just 7 or 8 years ago a 70,000 ton ship was a "megaship". Some NA pax describe Century ships as midsize. It's a moving target. For European pax, the North American market is full of megaships, just some more gigantic than others.

...it's just that I'm convinced there is nothing to be done.

I agree...it's a "bean counter" run world and the few of us who prefer value over price, become fewer every day...

Archived