Changing Cell Phone plan while on board

Has anyone ever changed their phone or text plan while at sea in order to be able to keep in touch with family members back home? If so, did roaming charges apply while at sea?

Thanks.

I think it depends on your plan. We have never had luck at sea. Between the four of us, (it also depends upon your specific phone), DS had excellent service in bermuda and SxT I think, I didnt have such luck, neither did DH, we both have the Droid X, kids have Black berry's (I miss my black berry) Anyway, about on the ship, last 3x we upgraded our 4 plans (they prorate it so it isnt as expensive as folks think) and Im not doing it again, lol Even tho I think it only comes out to $60 for 2 weeks for the 4 of us, it isnt worth it to me if I cant use it on board and in all the ports.

Call your carrier.

:(Since here are no cell phone towers at sea you have to go through the ship's phone service and ship's charges, which are high. . Once in port you can use your cell and would have roaming charges depending on your carrier. St Thomas and Puerto Rico are considered US (as they are) by AT&T, Verizon charges roaming.

:(Since here are no cell phone towers at sea you have to go through the ship's phone service and ship's charges' date=' which are high. . Once in port you can use your cell and would have roaming charges depending on your carrier. St Thomas and Puerto Rico are considered US (as they are) by AT&T, Verizon charges roaming.[/quote']

There are cell towers on the ship... How do you think they provide cell service?

Archived