christmas getaway Thomson Dream

Hi Lynn i think we are going to do a lot of DIY trip mostly to beaches and looking around the ports etc I want to book one of the cruises Swimming with Dolphins its going to be the girls xmas presant I hope they enjoy it. So looking forwards to going its our first cruise but my mother in law has been 3 times with Thomson. My 13 year old is happy now that she knows she has company they will have a fab time im sure.See you all in December

Rhian x

Have a look at this website, we booked with them before we went. It was cheaper than the ship's tour and we only had the five members of our group in the pool with our trainer and dolphin. The ship's tour group had 24 people and there were complaints they hadn't all been able to do the different activities. It's a short taxi ride from the port, we booked an 11a.m. time slot. There are different categories of "swim" depending on how adventurous you are! We just did the basic encounter as we had my 80-year old mother in law with us.

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

Click on the Tortola link.

Carol x

Thanks Carol ive had a look and will be booking before we go Its a lot cheaper! My only worry is if anything happened with the port of call being cancelled etc I guess its a risk you have to take. Girls so excited might even venture in myself! Thanks for the link If youve got any more tips re taxi or other excursion can you please let me know

Thanks Again

Rhian

Hi Rhian have you taken the AI drinks package? We've been quoted £378 pp! I can't believe it is this much, but then I keep thinking it's Christmas and with the heat etc it works out about £27 each a day and knowing the prices (will they go up even more for Christmas?) I can see us drinking that amount. I really don't know what to do I just wish we could have a big lottery win then I wouldn't be bothered!

Lynn x :confused:

Hi Lynn No we have not taken the AI There are five in our party and it would come to nearly a 1000 pounds extra. Hope were doing the right thing ! To be honest im sure it will be ok We could always club together and raid the Off License when were in port :p.

Rhian

Hi again, I found this excursion company when I was trawling the net. I've no knowledge of how good/bad they are, but I used their interactive chat and received replies to my queries almost immediately. You can put in the ship and cruise details and it will come up with the correct days that we are in each port, useful for me so I didn't get the dates wrong! So I've booked a trip round Curacao and another in Jamaica and because I've subscribed to their newsletter I was given a code for a reduction in price, not a lot but better in my bank than theirs! Lynn x ;)

https://www.cruisingexcursions.com/search-results.php

:) Finally booked Christmas Getaway this morning for my daughter Amy (18) and I, we are on deck 6/7 and flying from Manchester, we were in the Caribbean March/April this year on the Destiny) and loved every second(This will be first time on the Dream) . All the ports are gorgeous and it is easy to book independent tour when you arrive at port, I’ll keep checking on here for any advice or useful tips that are posted.

Can’t wait now 17 weeks tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing you Lou1993 The Dream is filling up nicely especially from Manchester. So Looking forward . Thanks for the link Lynn regarding excursions your really on the ball having booked allready your making me panic now haha.Will definately take a look.

Keep in touch

Rhianx

We signed on for this one this morning and collect 'our oars' at Manchester.

2 Ad and a 16 and 13 year old. Cruised on a couple of occasions previously.

Looks like an interesting itinerary and one that it looks like Thompson only do on special occasions like Xmas.

Any seasoned travellers on this route? Am assuming onshore currency will be ok with US dollars in pretty much the same way as Euro's are taken in Morocco given that there are so many unique Countries and Islands to navigate.

Welcome aboard Geezer! I've only been to Grand Cayman in the Caribbean and although they accepted US$ they gave a woeful exchange rate and often they didn't have US$ to give as change so for a big note the change would be given in local currency. From what I've heard it is pretty similar on the rest of the islands and I've been told Colombia don't accept US$ at all unless you change them at a bank. Jamaica have a law that all transactions must be in local currency, but I believe this is not strictly adhered to. I'm hoping that all the ATMs are well stocked over Christmas. Lynn :cool:

Hi Geezer wow another fellow cruiser from Manchester Airport Great !! My 13 year daughter made up that she may have company now seems there are quite a few young people starting there adventure from Manchester!! See you in a few Months

Rhian

• 2 weeks later...

Letter has landed this morning saying the Catalina Island stop has been changed! They will now anchor 30 Minutes away but still ferry people (presumably on the tender) the 30 minutes it takes to get ashore.

Where originally this will have been a free excursion ashore (the short trip from anchor to the jetty) I wonder if Thomson will now be charging for the trip ashore?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Summos

There seem to be quite a few of us now, I presume you'll be flying from Manchester like a few of us are. Do you know which flight you're on? I believe ours is TOM 108 it should have been 10:50am now 10:20am but I'm not holding my breath! :cool:

Hi Summos looking forwards to meeting you all Not that long to wait now!! Hia Ophelias how is the planning going? I will really need to get some excursions booked soon. As far as the Colon tours im sure ive read somewhere about the panama locks and a trip to an authentic Indian village!

Is your daughter like mine glued to the Showboaters.

Take care

Rhian x

Rachel went mad last week because Dad deleted it before she'd seen it! She has red hair and a temper to match!

As for Colon from what I've read it's not the sort of place to wander about so I'd like to get something booked and Thomson don't appear to be offering any trips. What I'd really like to do is the train to Panama City past some of the locks and the rain forest and have a dip in the Pacific Ocean! Will keep searching. Lynn x

• 1 month later...

Hi folks well 40 days left until we have some sunshine SO excited! Just a quick question regarding currency...Need advice on which currencey to take should it be all American dollers or should I change a small amount each time we go to a different port also is it a good idea to use the foreign exchange on the ship. Any advice will be appreciated! Gonna get the dust off the suitcases soon :D

Rhian

Hi Rhian

US$ are widely accepted everywhere apart from Colombia, although some touristy places even there will accept them, or you could exchange them at a bank, don’t forget we stop twice in Colombia. The problem is you will be paying to convert Sterling to US$ and then paying to convert them again, so you’ll lose out twice. Some places will only accept small denomination dollar notes, others will give you change in local curreny and/or give a very bad rate of exchange. Antigua and St Lucia both use East Caribbean dollars, so that’s one less exchange. Everywhere beware of exchanging notes with locals on the street.

I think that I’m going to get a small amount of everything from somewhere that offers a return exchange at the same rate as you pay originally (Asda is one, but don’t know if they are best) and use the ATMs. I only plan to use the ship’s exchange as a last resort, ship’s exchange rates are notoriously bad.

Unless anyone knows better???

Getting really excited now by lunchtime we will be down to days in the 30s!

Lynn x :D:D:D

Archived