jewelery shopping

gelson

My wife is looking to trade in a diamond and get a tanzanite ring. We have never been to the island before but have heard it is good for jewelery shopping. What are some stores that people either suggest to go to or stay away from. Thanks for all the help.

My wife is looking to trade in a diamond and get a tanzanite ring...

In the selling a diamond approach, I would think you would need to provide a GLC certification (or equivalent) and original purchase receipt. Otherwise, you will be at a huge disadvantage. If a store will deal with you, at best you will be selling at a very deep discount well below the wholesale level. Even then, the stores are not selling a lot of diamonds these days because of the world-wide economic conditions. If they're not selling, I'm not so sure they would want to purchase more inventory.

I suggest you do lots of homework and be prepared in advance. Remember, at the end of the day, the store will expect YOU to pay them, not them paying you.

In the selling a diamond approach, I would think you would need to provide a GLC certification (or equivalent) and original purchase receipt. Otherwise, you will be at a huge disadvantage. If a store will deal with you, at best you will be selling at a very deep discount well below the wholesale level. Even then, the stores are not selling a lot of diamonds these days because of the world-wide economic conditions. If they're not selling, I'm not so sure they would want to purchase more inventory.

I suggest you do lots of homework and be prepared in advance. Remember, at the end of the day, the store will expect YOU to pay them, not them paying you.

We were in St. Maarten in February and they were pushing the trade/sell your current diamonds for new product. I am sure from the sales point of view, they want to move stock they have on hand, I am willing to bet the diamonds they buy get sold off to other stores and never see the light of day on the shelves in St. Maarten.

My wife is looking to trade in a diamond and get a tanzanite ring. We have never been to the island before but have heard it is good for jewelery shopping. What are some stores that people either suggest to go to or stay away from. Thanks for all the help.

We shopped them all and felt Diamonds International treated us failrly and we just got along with the saleman better there.

One thing we all know is the money you get back from a diamond will be far below what the store would pay wholesale. My guess is a diamond which would retail at $1000 would net maybe $300.

We've always been treated great by the owner of Dazzling Gems, Danny.:D His store is at the head of Front Street.

He used to work for Diamond International there, and boy does he have some stories to tell about how DI treated some of their customers. :eek:

He's a good guy, nice selection, backed up by NY service dept if ever a problem. That's where we go every visit. Tell him Bill and Linda sent you, he'll know.

Archived