Western Caribbean Nov. 2005 Booked Up???

So we finally have convinced our best friends to cruise with us. We know they'll love it but it's taken 7 years and my 50th birthday celebration to make it happen. I think they'd prefer the Western on a newer ship and they want a balcony cabin so I have started doing some research for a Nov. 5/6 weekend departure to find the only ship doing traditional Western is Mariner and balconies and suites are sold out. Okay I switch to Eastern, Navigator same thing, no balconies or suites, Radiance no balconies. Now I shift to the next week even though we wouldn't be sailing on my actual birthday, Navigator Western...no balconies. I've sailed quite often during my birthday and it's usually one of the cheapest most available weeks of the year. Anybody know what the deal is?

Sharon: Don't have an answer for you but I noticed that you are going to be on the Navigator in April. We are on the western route on April 30. Would love to hear what you have to say about the ship. We're from Modesto and we love to cruise too. I'm sure that you'd love for a voyager or radiance class ship to be based out of San Francisco too? Have a great cruise.

My guess is that's its due to Teacher Convention week in NJ. A lot of schools are closed that week, and a lot of NJ families flee the state for cheap off-season vacations. We usually also vacation during that time, since it's a great time to get away and save some money, with minimal school missed. Last year, 50% of my daughter's class went on vacation that week.

Are you checking the RCCL website or with specific travel agencies. We booked ours through AAA and they had a block of rooms to chose from that did not show on the RCCL site. This was for Spring Break week so that be a factor so I'm not sure how many or which weeks they reserve in advance but our agent explained to me that when it gets closer to the sail date and they have rooms left they release them back to RCCL. So if you haven't yet, try an agency including one of the many on-line cruise sites out there. It just could be that they have rooms.

Good luck

Don't know what RCI has been doing recently, but that happened several months ago and then all of a sudden cabins were available. Maybe since balcony cabins have become very popular, they hold them back to fill up the inside and oceanview. Don't know, but had the same problem for Feb of this year, all ships and sailing dates had no balconies, then several months later than did.

Check some of the internet travel agencies that have blocks of cabins. I can generally find cabins there when seemingly everything is sold out with RCI. I suspect you will be successful in finding exactly what you are looking for. Good luck!

Can you tell me what week that is? My catsitter is a teacher in NJ and I'm cruising November 12-19.
This year it's the week before your cruise Nov 5 - Nov 13. For 2006, for those who are interested, it will be November 4 - November 12.

Thanks everyone for your input. I did try the "big" online agencies and they are showing the same thing, I'll give AAA a shot and see what they show. Thanks grandma, there's hope then :) . There's always certain weeks, holidays etc. that book early but this has never been one of them, took me by surprise.

shipknotshore - I plan on posting from the ship so keep your eye out. May not be in the mood on embarkation day (9th) but look for it after that. Something newer out of SF would make my day!

Thanks again all!

Another factor that could be blocking your preferred booking is the Hogs on the High Seas Rally. I am booked on the Nov. 6th Mariner and have recently tried to make a change to the rooms and found that I could not -- after questioning I found that there is a group -- Hogs on the High Seas-- that is booked on this particular cruise. It should be a very entertaining cruise.....If you check out their web site (same as the name) I believe you could book through them you might be able to get a balcony room. By the way if anyone has ever sailed with Hogs on the High Seas I would ove to know what to expect -- I imagine it will be a blast -- very entertaining! But, would love feedback.

Thanks

We're on the Nov 6 sailing of the Radiance and we noticed the same thing. We booked a balcony back in January and then sent out a mass invite to all of our friends to join us. It was amazing how quickly the cruise booked up - only two couples have managed to book rooms (outside staterooms) at a decent rate. I'm hoping that they will release rooms later on so some of our friends who have expressed interest will be able to join us.

Hello everone, I believe we sailed with njoyndride on Serenade in the fall of 03. Have you talked directly to RCCL, their are often many more cabins available than what you can view. I also think they try to control what is being sold by limiting what you can see from different sites on the net as well. I read an article lately that one of the ceo's was saying never assume that a cruise is sold out, they usually always have cabins. The cruise lines over this past month or so have had a lot of vacancy and have been selling off all kinds of bargains during this popular season. I do think that their has been a shift in popularity of the fall cruises which were always cheaper because we have always traveled at this time of year and we have still been able to find good bargains.

be back later

Brian J

Me again

We are booked on a repo on Jewel out of Boston, which is sold out now but when we come to final payment time I'm sure vacancy will come up. We are on Voyager in May repo from Miami to Bayonne. It was sold out and we were able to upgrade and move our cabin just last week. We have a balcony cabin which we only paid 725pp. I am waiting for them to release 2006 so we can book some cruises for next year. I think we will book while on Voyager so we get our room credit. We also discovered that if you are stock holders that you also get room credit. I am just in the process of purchasing a 100 shares which is what you require to get room credit every time you sail.

Later

Brian J

I booked the explorer back in August for Western Nov. 6th. Everyone laughed and said I was nutz for booking so early..."1st time cruiser, doesn't know what she's doing...blah blah blah"! Well now they are scrambling for cabins - bad ones too. I got my 8th deck balcony for less than what insides are going for now & there are no balconies or oceanviews left according to RCCL and other travel websites. Maybe around final payment time some balconies will open up...I don't know. I'm just glad I booked when I did.

~curly

I booked the explorer back in August for Western Nov. 6th. Everyone laughed and said I was nutz for booking so early..."1st time cruiser, doesn't know what she's doing...blah blah blah"! Well now they are scrambling for cabins - bad ones too. I got my 8th deck balcony for less than what insides are going for now & there are no balconies or oceanviews left according to RCCL and other travel websites. Maybe around final payment time some balconies will open up...I don't know. I'm just glad I booked when I did.

~curly

smart move.......:)

it's true that closer to final pmt time, cabins might open up due to cancellations and there might be some cruises that you can grab up some great last minute bargains...........but............sometimes it works the other way.........cabins might open up but prices might have increased in the interim........I'm also thankful that I have a cabin that I want and my cost is what someone would have to book a lower category for now.......all that is out of the way and I can concentrate on excursions I want to book.......;)

Nikilee - Man the Hogs, hogged the ship!!! LOL. That's definitely the story with Mariner.

JBoshears - We are looking at 11/6 but thanks so much for the offer.

SharleneinTexas - We've been on Rhapsody twice, I envy you being near her. The first time was my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary and last year it was our daughter's wedding...lots of good memories on Rhapsody for us!!! Radiance 11/13 is my fall back, I'd really like to be in some sunny port on my actual birthday but may not have a choice. Thanks for doing so much research.

Hi Brian, wish I could talk our neighbors into San Juan we'd love to do Serenade again!!!

PNWgal - I'll keep an eye on Radiance, maybe something will pop up, we love that class of ship.

4merlurker - You're the smartest one here :) , you can thumb your nose and go neener neener!!!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

SharleneinTexas you're too much :) , did you ever think of becoming a TA? Just as we experienced in Texas when arriving in Galveston during TS Faye, Texans are the nicest people. A woman on the shuttle insisted we take her umbrella as she had many at her house, when our ship was delayed due to the storm Harbor House let us stay in our room until 9pm with no extra charge and the night manager wanted to drive us to the ship herself (we walked, storm had passed). During the brunt of the storm there wasn't a sole in The Strand, we ventured out to find some dinner, well someplace that was still open! We found a nice restaurant a few blocks away, we walked in soaked to the skin, umbrella now turned inside out and the host said "y'all aren't from around her are ya?" We just cracked up, they gave us a towel and a wonderful hot pasta dinner, it turned out to be a great trip due to all the friendly people.

SharleneinTexas you're too much :) , did you ever think of becoming a TA? Just as we experienced in Texas when arriving in Galveston during TS Faye, Texans are the nicest people. A woman on the shuttle insisted we take her umbrella as she had many at her house, when our ship was delayed due to the storm Harbor House let us stay in our room until 9pm with no extra charge and the night manager wanted to drive us to the ship herself (we walked, storm had passed). During the brunt of the storm there wasn't a sole in The Strand, we ventured out to find some dinner, well someplace that was still open! We found a nice restaurant a few blocks away, we walked in soaked to the skin, umbrella now turned inside out and the host said "y'all aren't from around her are ya?" We just cracked up, they gave us a towel and a wonderful hot pasta dinner, it turned out to be a great trip due to all the friendly people.

LOL

I love to research and I love Texans.........:)

moved here from Va about 7yrs ago and one reason I love it so much is because of the account you mentioned above......if I come across anyone with a negative attitude, I always question if they are native Texans.........;)

Sharlene

Archived