Shore excursions

gm217

I'm looking for help deciding on excurions for our upcoming Alaskan cruise. Sailing the Coral out of Whittier in August. Arriving in Anchorage the day before, not sure if we should stay there or go right to Whittier. Any suggestions? Next I am looking for excursions in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchican. DH has very bad motion sickness problems, wears the patch and takes a pill??. We are not really interested in museums, but would like to see whales, bears...Also, I am not sure if I should book through Princess or Private. It's getting close and need all the help I can get.

I must admit to a preference for booking things myself. That way I get to plan a bit more, and periodically add things that I want to see that I might have heard about on these boards or elsewhere.

In Juneau, we booked a busy day: whale watching (with Harv and Marv) in the morning as soon as the ship arrived, then a helo trip to a glacier for a one-hour trek on the glacier (we used Northstar Trekking). I worked with both companies, they each knew what else we were doing, and were great to work with and we had two unforgettable tours.

In Ketchikan, we used Island Wings to fly out to see Misty Fjords. Michelle is fantastic, and we had a great time and saw yet another perspective of the glaciers' work.

As for bears, I don't know what the options are in those two ports. I know Michelle at Island Wings was working with a local group to keep a bear viewing area open for non-hunters. You might give her a call on that item.

As for seasickness, a whale watch is on a small boat. There is a lot more motion on a small boat than on a cruise ship. AND at times you are moving slowly which only makes the motion worse. That's the nature of those trips, and if the patch and a pill don't do it, DH might have to skip that item. I don't want to post a lot here about seasickness, but is he eating at normal mealtimes, and is he keeping the horizon in sight? Still a small boat can be hard for many people.

Archived