dress in cairo

simonv

I think it's best to dress more conservatively (long pants or skirt) if you plan to go off the main tourist paths. To a point, it's good to follow the guideline, "When in Rome..." in order to respect local customs and values. When you're in the more touristy areas, such as the pyramids, it's OK to wear shorts and be more casual. Certainly, if you want to visit religious buildings such as a mosque, you might not be welcome, even with a head covering.

Ivan

South Padre Island, Texas

Egypt is a conservative country by western standards ( by Middle Eastern standards it is quite progressive), it would be unwise to dress in shorts even at the pyramids. You will be singling yourself out for unwanted attention perhaps and there are many people you will offend. While this may seem silly to many westerners this is not our country and not our rules. It would be best to wear loose fitting, comfortable pants, have a scarf along to cover your head and no bare arms (short sleeves are OK).

The most comfortable and practical solution would perhaps to purchase a Sawar Kamazeze (spelling abhorant, and my apologies), which is the loose pants and tunic length top with a scarf. Not only is this a very comfortable outfit but it will be a lovely reminder of your journey. You will also find that it is much cooler than even shorts.

There are some people who believe that we should be able to travel anywhere in any style of dress (I am not stating nor implying you are one of them) but that seems to further enhance the view of Westerners as "pushy" and that we are trying to make the world like we are.

The last thing I want to do, especially in the Middle East, is to call attention to myself by offending the locals. Thank you for your information. I'll look for loose pants.

By the way I'm assuming the same goes for India (Mumbai). Does anybody here know? I'll also ask in Asia board.

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived in one Moslem country and traveled in several others, I've always found the best attire are "broomstick skirts" (the full, longish crinkled gauze skirts) with either elastic waists or drawstring waists, worn with thin cotton t-shirts that have sleeves ranging between mid-upper arm and elbow length. The skirts are actually cooler than shorts (think air circulation) and pack extremely well. They're washable and don't need ironing. I also always have a large silk scarf rolled up in my bag for head and shoulder covering if necessary (silk will roll up to a very small packet). If you have a couple of print skirts and several coordinating solid-color t-shirts with you, you will be properly dressed for about every occasion. I've even ridden a camel in one with good results.

• 1 month later...

Be who you are. Whether it be an American, African, Egyptian or whatever. By not dressing like you always do you are saying that you are ashamed of who you are when going to this particular country. Be proud of who you are, whatever it may be.

Be who you are. Whether it be an American, African, Egyptian or whatever. By not dressing like you always do you are saying that you are ashamed of who you are when going to this particular country. Be proud of who you are, whatever it may be.

Alternatively, you are saying that you appreciate being a guest in their country, and are trying as best you can to respect their customs and values, as you would hope they would do should they ever be a guest in yours.

Hi,

I worked for a travel agency, which organized tourist groups to egypt - and I traveled myself to Egypt and Cairo very often.

Most people in Egypt are very forgiving to foreigners - but if you want to be respectful, try to wear long cotton pants- no shorts (if you like these zip off pants - unzipped.... they are OK) or a skirt (I prefered a very casual skirt, made of silk, overknee). If you wear a shirt with sleeves over the ellbows, you are perfect dressed for all occasions including mosques.

If you are visiting ancient temples out of town it is something different and shorts are OK!

I love Cairo - you will enjoy this city!

Wendy

Alternatively, you are saying that you appreciate being a guest in their country, and are trying as best you can to respect their customs and values, as you would hope they would do should they ever be a guest in yours.

Everyone should respect everyone else. When foreigners come to America I respect the way they would like to dress and talk. If this was not the case then when visiting America everyone should speak English and dress as Americans do which would be no turbans, veils, etc. Back to what I said before, everyone should be who they are and if there are some people that have a problem with that then so be it. You can't please everyone but we can all have respect for each other by letting each other be who they are.

• 4 weeks later...
Everyone should respect everyone else. When foreigners come to America I respect the way they would like to dress and talk. If this was not the case then when visiting America everyone should speak English and dress as Americans do which would be no turbans, veils, etc. Back to what I said before, everyone should be who they are and if there are some people that have a problem with that then so be it. You can't please everyone but we can all have respect for each other by letting each other be who they are.

I think you can definitely "be who you are" while still respecting the customs of your host country. My wearing a modest outfit in a Moslem country doesn't make me any less American...it just makes me more respectful of the local customs. By your reckoning, it would be OK for a Bushman from Africa or a member of a remote tribe from the Amazon to attend services at St. Patrick's wearing nothing more than a string around their waists? They would be "being who they were", wouldn't they be? That may be a little extreme as an example, but visiting a mosque in Cairo, wandering around Mea Sherim in Jerusalem or traveling anywhere in Iran wearing shorts and a tank-top would be considered about as outrageous to the locals. Not to mention dangerous.....tourists have been attacked and even arrested numerous times for inappropriate attire in Moslem countries. In Tehran a few years ago, the advice was: "Wear a head wrap or get your head rapped." Dressing appropriately for the occasion is just showing courtesy and understanding to your hosts.

Jakijim,

You really made my blood boil. If people follow your thinking in the Middle East, they stick out as AMERICANS. That is not a good thing in a lot of the Middle East (or a lot of the world). And one more reason why the United States is so hated by some in the region. It all boils down to NO RESPECT for other people's culture. Dressed the way you advocate makes you appear the "UGLY AMERICAN".

I am getting ready to go to Iraq on business. I am a woman. You should see the list of stuff from the US State department with all the things NOT to do. NO shorts, no sleeveless tops, make sure you have a driver with you, make sure you have something to cover your head. I will heed their warnings well. And make myself blend in as much as possible.

jakijim says, "Be proud of who you are". To me, who I am means the kind of person I am, not what I wear. And I'd like to believe that the kind of person I am is respectful of other people.

In the US, I wear different clothes to different places and events; I wouldn't wear the same thing to work, to run errands, to garden, to attend a wedding, or a funeral, to go to a rock concert, to go to the opera, etc. So why would I behave less respectfully in another country?

To JakiJim:

I am not trying to be incendiary, but I don't think there is one "American" way of dressing. I am American and I am also a Muslim who wears a "veil" AKA head scarf. There are so many different people in this country, how could we define one singular way of dressing/acting as "American"?

Also, please remember that "veils and turbans" are not always just an "ethnic" thing or a "cultural" thing, but for some people are actually considered a religious requirement. This is the case with many Muslim women (like me) and their head scarves, and many Sikh men and their turbans, just to name a few. You cannot compare what people consider to be a requirement with what people choose to wear, like shorts and tank tops.

To the Original Poster:

Dressing modestly (i.e. no shorts etc.) is probably a good idea if you are heading to any predominantly Muslim country, not so much because people will expect you to, but because it will show that you are making an attempt to understand the other culture. I don't think, however, that anyone would expect you to cover your head in Egypt, unless you were visiting a mosque or religious site.

Make sure, if you decide to wear long pants/skirts and long sleeves, that you avoid black and that you buy natural fabrics, like cotton. This will help you to feel cooler, even if you are covered up. Believe it or not, long skirts can actually help you feel cooler on a hot day, due to the air circulation. And it does help protect you against sun burn! :cool:

Hi, just one more person adding their cents (hopefully sense). I was just in Port Said as part of a Middle Eastern cruise and there -- as in everywhere we went I wore long sleeve linen tops with pants...and felt comfortable and respectful. I kept a scarf (gorgeous pashmina that I got in the souk at Muscat for $8) in my purse at all times. The only trouble I ran into was at a mosque where my pants were just slightly above my ankles and they actually required me to pull 'em down (just a bit)...

Funny thing I noticed, too, was that footwear could be pretty bare. Everyone wore sandals!

And one other observation -- the women in Port Said wore gorgeous burkas, all sorts of tropical colors. They were quite elegant and stylish...more so than in places like Jordan or Oman.

Have a great time.

Suzi

When traveling in Arabic countries, women are required to wear a Burka. If your legs are exposed you can and will be "switched". Even in hotels women and men may not use the pool at the same time. I have been a f/a for 20yrs and have flown to many Middle Eastern countries and we were reqiured to respect their customs. As outdated as that sounds to us I have no problem being respectful.

When in Bali we attended a Cremation and had to wear a Syrong <sp?> or when we visited a Temple. I love trying to blend into the culture of whatever country we visit.

The protesting writer is the type of traveler that gives us a bad name.

When traveling in Arabic countries, women are required to wear a Burka. If your legs are exposed you can and will be "switched". Even in hotels women and men may not use the pool at the same time. I have been a f/a for 20yrs and have flown to many Middle Eastern countries and we were reqiured to respect their customs. As outdated as that sounds to us I have no problem being respectful.

When in Bali we attended a Cremation and had to wear a Syrong <sp?> or when we visited a Temple. I love trying to blend into the culture of whatever country we visit.

The protesting writer is the type of traveler that gives us a bad name.

I have to question this. In most tourist Arab countries, foreign women do not have to dress in a burka, nor are the hotel pools segregated. All that is expected in the tourist areas is, as most posters have suggesed, to dress conservatively and respectfully, keeping shoulders and legs largely covered in public.

I expect that the norm is stricter should you be in the non-tourist areas, but my fear is that you may deter people who have not visited places like Egypt and Jordan from doing so, which would be a shame.

When traveling in Arabic countries, women are required to wear a Burka. If your legs are exposed you can and will be "switched". Even in hotels women and men may not use the pool at the same time. I have been a f/a for 20yrs and have flown to many Middle Eastern countries and we were reqiured to respect their customs. As outdated as that sounds to us I have no problem being respectful."

Sorry, but this is not accurate. First of all, "Arabic" and "Muslim" do not go hand in hand. Just because a country is Arabic-speaking doesn't mean that everyone there is Muslim, or that the country will impose its own dress requirements on visitors.

"Burka" is actually a term used for the all-covering garment traditionally associated with Afghanistan, a non-Arabic speaking country.

Legs being switched?!? I don't know where this happened to you, but it would not happen in the majority of Middle Eastern/North African countries. If you are referring to Saudi Arabia only (as I suspect), then you cannot generalize. Saudi has about as much in common with the rest of the Arab world as does a lemon with an elephant.

If what you wrote is true for all "Arabic countries", as you suggest, then my Moroccan sisters-in-law (and most of the Moroccan population) would be in big trouble! They wear short skirts and short sleeves, as do several of my friends from other "Arabic countries". And yes, they wear them in their home countries.

What a load of nonsense, which I sincerely hope no-one reading this thread takes seriously !! I have lived in the Arabian Gulf for many years and travel to other Middle East countries regularly. If you would like to read a reasonably accurate review of the area please go to the Reviews section of CC where there is a recently posted review of cruising to the Middle East - was that by you SuziClue??

Having been to Egypt a few times, I have seen western women in various outfits at various sights, and even have seen some in Halter tops and shorts running around the Valley of the Kings. I was as embarassed as I would have been if they dressed that way at the Vatican, which by the way would have barred their enterence to St Peters. There is the issue of common sense, and unfortuneatly some people lack it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Jayayeff, no it wasn't me who wrote the review...but I'll definitely check it out. Where did you see it?

And I second the opinion...nobody I traveled with got switched, LOL.

Suzi

Suzi,

It was on the Reviews page but it appears to have moved. However, after searching around I have located it again in Destinations. Go to the top of the page click on Destinations then ignoring the map click on Middle East & Africa, there are three pictures with accompanying reviews it is the one on the left with the picture of a black hulled ship and is titled Middle East: fun facts. There is another review to the right which features Dubai only (with several inaccuracies that I noted!!). Anne.

To JakiJim:

Make sure, if you decide to wear long pants/skirts and long sleeves, that you avoid black and that you buy natural fabrics, like cotton. This will help you to feel cooler, even if you are covered up. Believe it or not, long skirts can actually help you feel cooler on a hot day, due to the air circulation. And it does help protect you against sun burn! :cool:

Does black have any religious significance? Or it's just the hottest color to wear?

I have no intention of being "who I am" in a foreign country, in Arab countries at that, attract attention to myself. It's just not smart. Following other customs is not only the matter of respect but often of safety. I'll assert myself all I want where I know the territory. But in somebody else's house, I follow their rules.

Does black have any religious significance? Or it's just the hottest color to wear?

No, as far as I know, black does not have any religious significance in the region. It's just a very hot color to wear (I speak from personal experience). :) Dark colors in general tend to attract the sun.

I'd opt for light colors and baggy pants or skirts to enhance wind circulation against your skin. I don't know if it's against the rules to post store names, so I won't, but if you are looking for loose, natural-fabric clothing, I know of a good online store. You can e-mail me at casoli1 at yahoo dot com if you would like the name.

--Nicole

There are some practical problems in not confirming to the local custom. Thus my original question. It's an safety issue. But there are other. Even in a country where I probably can get away with, and tourists can get away with a lot, I will not only get a good service but will be charged tourist prices. In Paris or Tokyo, or San Francisco where I live for that matter, better restaurants might overlook my shorts, but waiter isn't going to give me a good service because anybody who doesn't know to dress 'properly' wouldn't know the difference. So confirming to local customs has practical implications to yourself.

Archived