QM2 Roundtrip Transatlantic for 15 yr old

Indy_Girl46

Hi, We're considering going on a roundtrip on the QM2 next year with our 15 yr old son. We have never cruised on this ship before and are wondering whether or not it would be suitable for him and he would have enough to do. Can anyone advise please?? Thank you.

Hi, We're considering going on a roundtrip on the QM2 next year with our 15 yr old son. We have never cruised on this ship before and are wondering whether or not it would be suitable for him and he would have enough to do. Can anyone advise please?? Thank you.

Assuming that it is school holiday time he will thoroughly enjoy himself, there will be others of his age on board and a good programme of entertainment. He would need to dress for dinner as usual of course which would greatly enhance his memories of the trip.

Thank you for that. Yes, it will be school holidays. He likes dressing for dinner anyway, as we have cruised before. I went ahead and booked it about half an hour ago. It was only £42 for him for the cruise - an unbelievable bargain. Under 17's go free with 2 full paying adults on the roundtrip transatlantic cruise. They just pay the sea fuel supplement. The price goes up tomorrow, so we were extremely lucky. Really looking forward to it now.

Thank you for that. Yes, it will be school holidays. He likes dressing for dinner anyway, as we have cruised before. I went ahead and booked it about half an hour ago. It was only £42 for him for the cruise - an unbelievable bargain. Under 17's go free with 2 full paying adults on the roundtrip transatlantic cruise. They just pay the sea fuel supplement. The price goes up tomorrow, so we were extremely lucky. Really looking forward to it now.

There may be a rollcall thread for your trip which I suggest that you join, look here http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=599

Ye gods, folks! The worst that could happen is that he will one up on his friends and schoolmates forever. Take him, take him, take him! Check all the Daily Programmes on the pb82 homepage for stuff he might like. Bon voyage to you ALL.

We have traveled on Cunard a few times where underage travelers sail for the surcharge. Your son will have alot of company and will find kids his age to meet...and make friends with because Cunard provides meeting places for the teens. I'm sure you don't need this advice but we have observed in the past that the teens tend to band together after the teen program and just roam the ship, after a few nights, hang out in the buffet and abuse everything in it, stand and eat with their new friends as if it were a finger food buffet. I don't mean to sound insulting but we observed this on three trips. Pretty much ruiend the late buffet for us. As long as you are aware that not all kids are as great as yours is, he will have a wonderful time and so will you. :)

Of course I don't know anything about how well-traveled or cosmopolitan he is already, but my grandparents took me on cruises at that age, and it was a great experience to broaden my horizons. I thank them to this day.

True, when school is in session there are very very few kids and teens on board.

It's also a chance for parents to be good teachers... how to behave in formal settings (no fingers on the buffet, please). After all, while Cunard offers some structured activities, they are not your full time child-sitter.

As for the teen, it's a chance to be exposed to live theater, the topics of the enrichment lectures, new cuisine, and perhaps most importantly, how to get on socially with people of different ages, and from different places.

Of course I don't know anything about how well-traveled or cosmopolitan he is already, but my grandparents took me on cruises at that age, and it was a great experience to broaden my horizons. I thank them to this day.

True, when school is in session there are very very few kids and teens on board.

It's also a chance for parents to be good teachers... how to behave in formal settings (no fingers on the buffet, please). After all, while Cunard offers some structured activities, they are not your full time child-sitter.

As for the teen, it's a chance to be exposed to live theater, the topics of the enrichment lectures, new cuisine, and perhaps most importantly, how to get on socially with people of different ages, and from different places.

I wonder if the young man's parents might just have already imparted this fairly basic behaviour in the 15 years that he has been on this Earth, or maybe he spends his days sucking bones and shooting heroin.

We crossed with our 15 yo son and 18 yo daughter in Oct when there were virtually no other teenagers. Both found plenty to do. But they're self entertaining. I just asked him what he liked best and I thought he would say unlimited food of any kind you could want. But he said dressing up and dining in the Britannia restaurant with the nice table settings, having things he'd never had before and the waiter who called him sir. And he liked to explore the ship. Check out the library. He got some reading in and found some other books he didn't have time to read but he ordered them from the library when we got home. He said most lectures weren't to his taste but 'it builds character to try something new and try to understand it'. And he liked Fox News because he likes to be reassured there's people like him out there. The part I'll never forget was when the orchestra played a tango and he asked his sister to dance. He was one of about half a dozen guys that could/would do it that night. Other folks came over and one asked if that was his special girl. He said 'no she's my sister. I knew she wanted to dance it and I could so I did it.' That's my boy.

My Dad crossed on both the original Queen Mary and the original Queen Elizabeth when he was about 15 and we've been hearing stories about those crossings our whole lives. Now, nearly 60 years later, in honor of those crossings he took with my grandparents, I'm taking him this summer on The Queen Mary 2, and we've already planned to raise a glass and toast to the memory of my grandparents, who started the Cunard tradition for our family. What you're doing for your son will create memories that will last generations.

It depends on the type of kid he is. I took my 16yr old son on the QE2 about 10yrs ago while he sort of enjoyed the crossing he wouldn't do it again and at 26 now still feels the same, his friend same age that went echoes that assessment. Its not for everyone. Best you ask your son and go for there.

So that puts him about my age, right? I'm 77. Looking forward to meeting him, and you of course, on QM2 1 - 6 July.

Jon.

Dad is a few years younger, but you're definitely the same generation... he's looking forward to meeting you as well. He served in the army in Japan in the 60's, so I'm sure you'll both have some interesting military stories to share. I've enjoyed all of your posts, so I'll be listening avidly as well! It's just around the corner...

Archived