What the H . . . is a designated drinker? (Review – 5/15/11 Vision OTS Baltic Sea)

We just returned from our 7-day Baltic cruise on Vision of the Seas. There has been a lot of chatter, on these boards, recently about issues with this ship. Some are true, some are not. I will discuss the issues as they arose chronologically. Later in this review I will answer: What the H . . . is a designated drinker?

DAY 0 – 5/12/11 – Travelling to Copenhagen

We left for Copenhagen May 12. Given our recent travel history (see our review of the 12/5 cruise on Brilliance for more details http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1373220), we thought it couldn’t possibly hurt our cause to travel overnight on Friday the 13th. This proved to be an accurate assessment. We parked our car in a long term lot near JFK airport at about 6 PM on the 12th and flew overnight to Copenhagen via Reykjavik, Iceland. I mention these facts, not because they are exciting or anything noteworthy happened, but they will become important later (bear with me). We made it to Copenhagen without incident. The wheelchairs met us when and where they were supposed to, we made the connection in plenty of time, and even our luggage arrived in Europe with us.

Some comments on Icelandic Air as a carrier. They are a cheap, no frills carrier. Food is available – but for a price. They have a very good entertainment system – but bring your own headphones, as they will make you pay for using theirs. Also, while they service multiple cities in the U.S. and multiple cities in Europe, they do not go directly between these cities. ALL flights between North America and Europe go through Reykjavik.

My DH Jon

Hey Jon and Diana!! Looking forward to the rest of your review! Funny how you brought up our Brilliance cruise! :D

I must have missed something:o....why don't you fill us in a bit about your Brilliance (love that ship) cruise while we are waiting for OP to continue!

We had been warned that Copenhagen was the most expensive city in the world, but were still completely unprepared for the experience. For convenience, I will give prices in USD and round off the amounts. The conversion is roughly 5 DKK (Danish Krone) to a dollar. The cab ride from the airport to our hotel was around $50 including tip. This did not seem extravagant, though we were unsure just how far we had driven. For comparison purposes, in 2004 we took a cab from the airport in Houston to a downtown hotel and that also cost $50. I am told that a cab JFK to a midtown hotel would cost a similar amount.

We checked into our hotel and realized that a 3 star hotel from a Danish perspective is much different than a 3 star hotel from an American one. The carpets were worn & stained, the room was cramped (and two twin beds pushed together took some getting used to), and the shower, which merely had a curtain separating it from the rest of the bathroom (no lip) had mold. At least it was centrally located, had free internet, and had an included breakfast buffet. After checking in, we asked the desk clerk for a recommendation for lunch (as I mentioned Icelandic Air did not give away food and I’ll be damned if I am going to pay for airline food). The clerk recommended a restaurant on the next block. The food turned out to be very good, but the bill was another $50. After lunch we returned to the hotel and crashed.

We arose after 6 PM. This meant that most of the major attractions were now closed. While Tivoli Gardens was, still open at that hour, we had already decided that we would leave that attraction for the following night. Instead, we took a long walk around the heart of Copenhagen and got the lay of the land. It was a pleasant evening and this walk allowed us to locate most of the attractions we wanted for the next day and place them relative to our hotel. We stopped at a local café and had a bowl of soup (each) and split a dessert. The bill was … you guessed it … $50. (Do you see a pattern developing here?) We returned to the hotel and watched a movie. Most television in Copenhagen seems to be broadcast in English, with Danish subtitles. While this was convenient, I found it strange.

My DH Jon

I must have missed something:o....why don't you fill us in a bit about your Brilliance (love that ship) cruise while we are waiting for OP to continue!

Both Dirt Girl and I posted our Brilliance of the seas reviews. We were on the Dec 5, 2010 sailing that was caught in the worst storm in 4 decades. The ship was hit by a big wave in the middle of the night 12/12/10. I was thrown out of bed. I only ended up with bruises. Carol (Dirt Girl) was not so lucky. We made a lot of new friends and will have a cruise we will never forget.

We ended up getting a full refund so we got home and booked this Baltic Seas cruise. ;)

Brilliance review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1373220

Diana

Thanks for the links. I will definitely read them. If it was the Nov-March time frame, I was occupied with some serious health issues with our daughter and wasn't on the boards...in fact, we missed our Dec. cruise and Allure pre-cruise:(

Thanks for the links. I will definitely read them. If it was the Nov-March time frame, I was occupied with some serious health issues with our daughter and wasn't on the boards...in fact, we missed our Dec. cruise and Allure pre-cruise:(

I'm sorry to hear that - I hope she has recovered.

I hope she is doing better now. Welcome back to the boards.

What is an Allure "pre-cruise"?

Diana

Edited by nydiana
typo

This was going to be our major sightseeing day in Copenhagen. Looking at the options, we decided that it was best to see a collection of downtown attractions on this day and then to pay for the ship’s tour of the palaces at the end of the cruise. While these tours are frequently overpriced, it would save us the trouble of travelling to the palaces involved (both of which were in other parts if the city from where we were) and serve as our cab ride back to town. (The ship’s tour ended at the main train station which was only a few blocks from the hotel.)

After breakfast (free at the hotel), we made the four block walk to the tourist information office. This was one of the important places we had located on the previous evening’s walking tour. The importance of this location is that it was here we picked up our “Copenhagen Card”. This card, which can also be purchased at the airport (if you can find the right desk) or ordered ahead of time on-line, provided free entry in to a number of attractions and free access to the public transportation system. Bear in mind, it provided a discount to the hop on- hop off busses, but not free use of them. We learned this lesson the hard way …

City hall, which was converted from a church, is a nice building but if you are pressed for time can be skipped. The square outside city hall included some impressive statues and the famous (though less than impressive) statue of Hans Christian Anderson. The next stop was the National Museum. This museum features pieces from Danish history as well as pieces from ancient cultures including an extensive Egyptian collection. If you are an art lover, you will be more interested in the State Museum of Kunst (where we did not go) which has a larger collection of artwork. Our next stop was a boat ride along the canals. If you have the time, this is well worth the experience. After this we hit the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek. This is a decent (if somewhat mall) art museum. Of the museums we visited, this was by far the best. It was now late afternoon and we decided to return to the hotel and rest. No sooner did we reach the hotel than the skies opened up.

After a rest and after the storm, we went to Tivoli. If you are unfamiliar with it, Tivoli is a combination garden/amusement park located in the center of Copenhagen. The gardens are nice in the light, but the whole park sparkles more impressively at night. Bear in mind that the ticket price to enter Tivoli (included on the Copenhagen Card) does not include food, rides or any other attractions within the park. The food options within the park include everything from hot dog venders to gourmet. We chose a fairly modest restaurant and spent another $50. We looked at the rides, but decided that they were not worth the expense. (Each ride costs at least three tickets, each ticket is 25 DKK) We also stopped by an ice cream stand before leaving the park. On the whole, this was a good, and full, day.

My DH Jon

I hope she is doing better now. Welcome back to the boards.

What is an Allure "pre-cruise"?

Diana

I really meant the pre-inaugural:rolleyes: sorry.

Our daughter is doing much better--still recovering actually. Thanks for concern. I have now read your report and will start on the other one. What a story!

Edited by truffles2

Well, Carol, I just finished your saga....what a read! I was on the edge of my chair. I hope you are continuing to get better; I know those things take a long, long time. What an experience. You now have some valuable 'first-hand' knowledge--thats for sure.

Well, Carol, I just finished your saga....what a read! I was on the edge of my chair. I hope you are continuing to get better; I know those things take a long, long time. What an experience. You now have some valuable 'first-hand' knowledge--thats for sure.

I do, that is for sure! I still had a wonderful time on the cruise; loved the people I met, and I even enjoyed England, though I was in A LOT of pain. I'm getting there - my right arm is still weaker - but one day I'll be back to doing one-armed push-ups on it! ;)

I do, that is for sure! I still had a wonderful time on the cruise; loved the people I met, and I even enjoyed England, though I was in A LOT of pain. I'm getting there - my right arm is still weaker - but one day I'll be back to doing one-armed push-ups on it! ;)

I love England and will go any time I get a chance. I agree that Windsor is a charming place also; been there several times but never with an opportunity to stay overnight as you had:p.

Carol we thought of you when as we were getting off the ship we herd about the volcano. We remembered last year when the volcano took out flights from Europe for a week. Jon and I were afraid we would be spending a week in Copenhagen. Of course we were not in pain. The pain would have been in our wallets. It is so expensive in Copenhagen.

Your comments about exercise make us feel guilty. :o We have yet to get back into our daily exercise routine since coming home from the Baltic. I had Jon put the exercise bike back in the living room. So no more excuses.

Diana

Anxiously awaiting for more of your review . . . :D :D

Dear debhomespun,

I noticed in your tag you are doing both Oasis and Allure in the fall. It looks like one right after the other, both Western. Why not try one western and the other eastern?

Diana

As our Copenhagen card (which is good for 24 hours rather than a particular calendar day) still had some time left on it, we toyed with taking in one more attraction this morning. We decided, however to enjoy a leisurely breakfast, pack and get to the ship relatively early. Accordingly, we got to the port at about noon. The port facility in Copenhagen leaves something to be desired. Really it is a large circus tent set up at the far end of the pier. Due to some delay with the debarkation of the previous week’s cruise, boarding had not yet started when we arrived. There was about a 15 minute line for processing and people who had already checked in were waiting to board. Juice and cookies were provided to make the wait easier. By the time we had finished checking in, the ship was ready for boarding. We were sent straight to the line for boarding.

Some general observations on Vision of the Seas: She is beginning to look her age. Both inside and outside are in need of paint. We had a junior suite (our first suite). This was somewhat disappointing. While the room was bigger than our normal balcony cabin, the difference was not so great as to make me pay the premium for it. The balcony was bigger than the balcony cabin’s but again I do not think that it is enough to justify paying for a JR suite. I thought it was supposed to have some sort of walk-in closet. It doesn’t. The bathroom is bigger than a balcony cabin’s and has a real bath tub. While this seems like a huge plus, it is at best double edged. The sides of the tub are extraordinarily high (2 feet?). If you have knee issues (and we do) it is extremely difficult to get into and out of this tub. There is also no shower seat. While I suppose I was not really expecting one, it would have been nice; especially given the height and slipperiness of the tub. During rough seas, this would help a lot. Finally, the tub was too short. We are 5’10’’ and 6’ respectively. The clearance on the shower was roughly 6’2’’. If either of us were any taller, this could have been a real issue. On the positive side, the cabin had a lot more closet and storage space than I am used to. If room for your “stuff” is an issue, the junior suite helps. Once under way, we noticed that the ship had a strange shudder. I do not know whether it was due to the stabilizers, the engines or something else but every once in while you could feel the ship sort of vibrate for a few seconds.

That evening featured the first production show in the main theater. It has been several years since we were on a vision class ship and we had forgotten some of the quirks. For instance, there is an overhang where the balcony (from deck 6) overhangs the lower section (deck 5) of the theater. Since we were in the back of the lower deck and the show featured aerial performers we could not see part of the performance (as it was blocked by the overhang.) The aerial performers must have been late, as they only performed two numbers. First, some of the ship’s singers performed two songs. We noticed a curiosity about this. The sound system had the level of the band higher than that of the singers. This had the affect of having the singing drowned out by the band. (I will expand on this later).

We always request the late seating and request a large and full table. Therefore, our first dinner was after the “welcome aboard” show. The emergence of my time dining and specialty restaurants has led, in recent years, to half empty tables. On this cruise we were greeted to a full, English speaking table. Our waitress and assistant waitress came by to introduce themselves. Each of them made it a point to emphasize that they were new to both their jobs and to each other. The head waitress (yes another woman – In fact our cabin stewardess was also female, making this the first cruise in which we had been attended by an all female team) probably introduced herself next. I say probably because we saw her sporadically during the trip. Given that the wait staff was new, I would have wished for much closer supervision of them by the head waitress. Dinner was decent enough. The prime rib was properly cooked but under seasoned. I think the assistant waitress was supposed to offer us sauces or horseradish, but this did not occur. She was also slow (at least early in the cruise) about getting and refilling drinks. One of our table mates is probably still waiting for his coffee. I had the feeling that if the head waiter was paying attention these issues could have been easily resolved…

I was originally going to end my review of day 1 here. I did not remember going to the after dinner entertainment and thought that we had just skipped it and went to bed early. Looking at the day one cruise compass now, I realize that the entertainment “Rock-a-rookie” was scheduled for 9:30 PM. This was a continuing problem on this cruise. Late seating for dinner was 8:45 PM. On at least 4 nights, the ship’s “late evening” entertainment was scheduled to begin at either 9:15 or 9:30. Anyone enjoying a leisurely late seating dinner could not possible attend these activities. I have never seen scheduling like this and I find it odd and disappointing.

My DH Jon

I'm enjoying your review. Not all JS's have a walk-in closet (which I use as a "dressing room" so I don't have to keep closing the drapes...wish they did. I love having a tub but I agree that the sides are so high it become dangerous entering and exiting:o

Carol we thought of you when as we were getting off the ship we herd about the volcano. We remembered last year when the volcano took out flights from Europe for a week. Jon and I were afraid we would be spending a week in Copenhagen. Of course we were not in pain. The pain would have been in our wallets. It is so expensive in Copenhagen.

Your comments about exercise make us feel guilty. :o We have yet to get back into our daily exercise routine since coming home from the Baltic. I had Jon put the exercise bike back in the living room. So no more excuses.

Diana

You know me, Diana - I am a total fitness freak! I had to buy an elliptical after my injury, just so I could get in cardio without jarring my body. Even in agonizing pain, I HAVE to exercise!:o

Good review so far! The Vision was my first cruise back in '04, and I will always have a soft spot for her in my heart.

This was one of the best timed days we have ever managed on Board a ship. We slept late – I think we may have finally caught up with the jet lag here. We stayed in bed until after 10 AM. The CC "Meet and Mingle" was scheduled for 10:45 AM. This proved to be a real meet and mingle. The meet and mingle on our previous cruise had broken up shortly after the ship stopped giving out the toys. I had also heard that more recent meet and mingles had turned into market gimmicks featuring a group photo and pressuring everyone to buy it. None of that occurred here. There was no group photo. The prizes were given out in the first 10 minutes. What followed was an hour and a half of true meeting and mingling. In various groups, we stood and chatted for a long time. One couple even brought copious amounts of German chocolate, which they shared with all. Thank you!

After the M & M, we went to lunch. This lunch took over an hour – it is not clear why. There had been rumors on CC that service on this ship was particularly slow and this was the one meal where we truly felt it. Lunch led right up to afternoon of ship sponsored informal bridge. On previous, cruises, this activity had been in the cruise compass, but virtually no one showed up for it. As a pleasant surprise, at least 12 people showed up for it. We sat down to play against a Danish couple who brought their own cards, Danish cards. If you have never seen a Danish deck of cards, Jacks are “B”, queens are “D” and aces are “Es”. If you are unfamiliar with bridge, the game requires you to hold (fan) 13 cards in front of you at once. This means you cannot hold them far enough apart to look at the pictures. We got our revenge though. We made them bid (name a trump suit and set a contract) in English. All and all it was an enjoyable afternoon.

On returning to our cabin we were surprised to find a formal invitation to have dinner with the captain that night. :D:D On previous cruises we had sat near the captain’s table and found it to be empty most of the time. I had thought that dining with the captain was a myth precipitated by the “Love Boat”. After dressing for dinner (this was formal night) we went to the captain’s cocktail party. The free drinks were there as always, but there were no hors d’oeuvres to be found. After the party, we met the Hotel director in the Champaign Bar for our VIP dinner. Dinner was quite good. The wine was free. The menu was special (a large Filet Mignon and seafood with a special dessert). The down side of this meal was that the regular menu would have featured escargot and duck – a meal towards which I always look forward. The Captain himself is a charming man. He considers this sort of thing part of his PR job as Captain. He was both affable and entertaining.

After dinner was the first production show. Here was where we learned why the volume of the band was louder than the volume of the singers - - they can’t sing. Actually one or two of them could perform a solo tolerably, but they would lose their key or their voice once they started dancing. The sound crew had apparently decided to try to drown out their voices with the music.

My DH Jon