Few random questions

shoegal24

Hello everyone. I have a few questions regarding my upcoming trip in July. Any advice / feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. What's the difference between a C1 and a C2 room? We booked a C1 room on the Century. What does this exactly mean? lol The person we booked with said it was the best option so my fiance went with that!

2. Can we have breakfast for free on our balcony every morning?

3. Are the classic alcohol packages worth it? I know this is highly subjective and personal, so for those of you who purchased one, would you purchase it again?

4. What time can we embark on the ship?

5. Are there many kids on cruises to Alaska?

6. Any other random tips / advice for us? :) As you can tell, we have no idea about cruising lol

Thank you.

Hello everyone. I have a few questions regarding my upcoming trip in July. Any advice / feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. What's the difference between a C1 and a C2 room? We booked a C1 room on the Century. What does this exactly mean? lol The person we booked with said it was the best option so my fiance went with that! You'll love it!

2. Can we have breakfast for free on our balcony every morning? Yes!

3. Are the classic alcohol packages worth it? I know this is highly subjective and personal, so for those of you who purchased one, would you purchase it again? Premium Yes!

4. What time can we embark on the ship? Around 11

5. Are there many kids on cruises to Alaska? X never has what I would call alot of kids.

6. Any other random tips / advice for us? :) As you can tell, we have no idea about cruising lol You can become addicted!

Thank you.

1. C1 is concierge class in a better location than a C2 concierge class. In truth, they are identical, it's just where they are located on the ship, which really doesn't matter all that much.

2. Yes except for the final morning when room service will be closed as of the night before. However, in Alaska, it might be too cold to eat on your balcony - so play that by ear.

3. Yes, if you drink, they are very much worth it. We had the Premium package on our last trip and took advantage of it. It was great to be able to order literally anything we wanted and not worry about the cost.

4. noon. You also need to be onboard an hour or an hour and a half prior to departure. Be sure to check what time is the cutoff if you intend to embark late.

5. Fewer kids on Alaska cruises.

6. For Alaska, if you are going up from Seattle or Vancouver, ask your doctor to prescribe Transderm Scops. You only need them going up and returning - but the first two days can be WILD on Alaska cruises! I've been twice and the first 2 days we practically had the dining room to ourselves both times! Even the crew was sick. Thanks to the scops, we were having a great time! Also be sure to get some general anti-seasickness medicine such as Meclizine to take when you are not using the scops.

Depending on what month you go, there might not be much darkness, so you might want to bring along a sleep mask - the drapes on ships are NOT blackout drapes like in hotel rooms.

If you get seasick, go to the center of the ship - if your cabin is in the center - that will be a great location - and lie down. If your cabin is at either end, go to a public room in the center of the ship and hang out there.

1. What's the difference between a C1 and a C2 room? We booked a C1 room on the Century. What does this exactly mean? lol The person we booked with said it was the best option so my fiance went with that!

2. Can we have breakfast for free on our balcony every morning?

3. Are the classic alcohol packages worth it? I know this is highly subjective and personal, so for those of you who purchased one, would you purchase it again?

4. What time can we embark on the ship?

5. Are there many kids on cruises to Alaska?

6. Any other random tips / advice for us? :) As you can tell, we have no idea about cruising lol

Thank you.

1. The best ones are C1, which are mid-ship.

3. Keep in mind that with the classic alcohol pkg you can drink any beer up to 5$ (the draft beers are pretty big), wine up to 8$ (or you can get the wine package, we weighed the pros and cons and went with the classic for each of us. Also, a glass of port, drambuie, etc.

You get a large bottle of water (not evian, which comes with the premium pkg), freshly squeezed OJ which is 2,50$ each - and delicious I might add :), cappuchino, espresso etc.

On our cruise we had a lot of sea days, so the classic was worth it for us. I'm not sure if I would buy it again on port-intensive days.

5. On our Alaskan cruise, Vision of The Seas in August 2005, there were probably about 30 kids or so. They were kept so occupied by the ship's staff that we hardly ever saw them. They had their own area as well as a pool in the back.

I don't remember seeing many couples with babies or toddlers, if any.

6. Bring your own binoculars!! We had a C3 which advertised binoculars in the room, but they were very small and rickety, and we couldn't get them to adjust at all. On an Alaska cruise you'll really want a good pair!

An over-the-door holder is great for holding all the extras that there is no room for in the bathroom, i.e. Tide-to-Go stick, mini sewing kit, nail clippers, hand sanitizer, medications, etc.

Do a search of these forums and you'll come up with all kinds of advice.

Have fun!!

Archived