Tell me about Smith Cove

smilz

We've been to GC 5 times and I've never heard of it. Just saw pics in a magazine and it looks intriging. We are looking for soimething close to do after our am excursion. Is there a bus stop there or ddo you have to walk back? How is the snorkeling?

Great little place. Just read the Caribbean T&L article on Grand Cayman?

About 1.5 miles or so from the tender area and you can take the bus, just allow for enough time to catch one on the way back.

Snorkeling is OK. There are a fair amount of fish and some nice Elkhorn coral around the little rock "island" in the middle-left of the cove.

While the water is usually calm, there can be some sizable swells that hit that part of the island and they tend to get funneled into the cove, amplifying their effect.

Some picnic tables in the shade, a basic restroom and rinse shower (may or may not have a proper shower head). No nearby food and beverage places other than Grand Old House and Seaharvest/My Bar at Sunset House., so bring some water at least.

It is a must stop when I venture to that part of the island. :D

We were married on Smith's Cove. Beautiful little, quiet beach. One year later we took a cruise back to GC and took a taxi to the Cove to revisit it for our one year anniversary. We took a taxi and asked them if they would come back in an hour to get us. They said they would, but never showed up. We waited on the side of the road for over an hour. Never saw ONE taxi or bus. A very nice local woman asked us if we were waiting for a bus... because she said there aren't any. ??? I was beginning to panic! She gave us a ride to the ship. I would love it if someone could tell me if this is unusual to not be able to get a ride back. Because we want to go there again in December and I want to take a taxi or whatever we can to get there and back.

The Green (#7 GT) George Town bus passes by Smith Cove on its route before heading up Walkers Rd. back to the center of town. The public buses are really mini-vans that you must flag down from the side of the road to stop as they approach.

Archived