Drinks package A/I or not??

Booked on Thomsons Dream for a week in August, and in two minds whether to purchase an A/I drinks package or not. Went on the Emerald a few years ago and purchased one when I booked the cruise and it cost just under £150 each, when I booked yesterday I was told there was a special offer on at the moment and could purchase for £199 each, does anyone know if it's possible to purchase one when we arrive on the ship.

Has anyone just returned from Thomsons Dream, if so could you tell me what the average price is for an alcoholic drink please, I think it was roughly about £2.50 a few years ago.

Hi, I am on the dream on the 25 June for the first time but I do know you cant upgrade to all inclusive when on board.

Have a look at a post I put on yesterday and 'jim the scot' replied giving the details of the AI drinks, I think it is well worth doing the AI package as there is so much to choose from and continues until 2am, hope this helps

Approx £3.25 for beer, £3.45 for spirits and £3.95 for cocktails although the price does vary from ship to ship.

£199 for the AI package is the full price, not a special offer.

the brochure price for 2 people on Dream for 6 aug was £2198 a year ago with a free AI worth £298 giving a final price of £1800

Today you can get the cruise for £1540 which is a lot cheaper but without the AI.

Unless you are going to drink more than 57 full price drinks each it is probably cheaper not to have the AI

You can't buy the AI aboard and you should get it for the price it was when you first booked the cruise. All your party have to buy it.

As dave says it depends on how much you drink, but it is not just alcaholic drinks.I drink only beer but have about 5 pints each night, the other half drinks brandy and sprite, but hates the pump soft drinks and gets a can of sprite separate, which is on the a/i and lasts her 2 or 3 brandies. she also likes a capuccino as opposed to a normal coffee, which she would have to pay for as you cant get it in the lido etc. some people take a couple of unopened cans back to their cabin, and also some people I noticed taking unopened cans with them on the trips. We also consumed a number of non alcoholc cocktails during the day as we drink only at night. these all add up very quickly. we would have no problem getting our money'sworth. Our friends who are real drinkers would probably do it after 3 days.

I think the A/I drinks are expensive when you work out how many days you are on the ship and you would have to drink the same amount each day just to break even i would sooner take my chance and pay as i go we have always done it this way.

keith

I recommend the AI but then again I like a drink on my holidays(without going overboard if you pardon the pun).I dabble in the odd spirits now and again but in the main I`m a pint drinker,wife likes the spirits and the cocktails so cost is not long in mounting up so for us we find the AI suits.Mind you we got if for nought :D

I like a drink on my holiday mainly pints the odd rum but would not pay £378 each which is what thomsons wanted for our caribbean cruise dont think our bill will come to £752 for 12 days which works our roughly 8 drinks each every day dare say i could but not the wife

keith

Hello All

Talking about AI.. We are 1st timers on the Spirit in Oct and DH wants to know what the wine at dinner (and lunch) is like that is included. Have read somewhere that it is only by the glass which is no prob but he does like a nice red ;) (usually drinks a Rioja at home) Is there a choice, apart from red, white and pink?

Also can anyone tell me what the alcho free cocktails are like, or suggest any to try as when I've tried the odd one in the past they have been REALLY sweet.

Thanks in advance

Do I, Dont I purchase the AI. This questioned has been asked on numourous occasions. Myself, - I book early and have always managed to get the free AI. But if I missed the offer then I would purchase the AI.

Why.

Me and the wife like a drink when we go on holidays. My daughter (12), likes the non-alcoholic cocktails. And she consumes loads of minerals during the day, as do we. We also like a glass of wine or 3, with our evning meal.

My drink alone approx one day.

G&T's x 4 or so @ £3.50

Cocktails x 3 or so @ £3.50

Minerals x 5 or so @ £1.20

Glass of wine for dinner x 3 or so @ £3.50

Latte or Hot Chocolate x 2 @ £3.00

Might even throw in a couple of beers while im at it.

And that is just me. Looks like a lot, but spread over 1 day its not too much when your on holidays. But the figures speak for themselves.

If you get the AI at a reduced price then I thinks its well worth it.

Some would say - Ah, but would you drink that if you had to pay for it. The answer to that is, - yes because I am on holidays.:eek:

Colin

N Ireland

While we always opt for the AI option and have paid full price for it before now, we have just recently returned from trip on Destiny where we had AI again but I noticed this time that lots of the popular cocktails eg sex on the beach have now been given a supplement as has drinks like baileys so be warned. this was not the case last year.

Do I, Dont I purchase the AI. This questioned has been asked on numourous occasions. Myself, - I book early and have always managed to get the free AI. But if I missed the offer then I would purchase the AI.

Why.

Me and the wife like a drink when we go on holidays. My daughter (12), likes the non-alcoholic cocktails. And she consumes loads of minerals during the day, as do we. We also like a glass of wine or 3, with our evning meal.

My drink alone approx one day.

G&T's x 4 or so @ £3.50

Cocktails x 3 or so @ £3.50

Minerals x 5 or so @ £1.20

Glass of wine for dinner x 3 or so @ £3.50

Latte or Hot Chocolate x 2 @ £3.00

Might even throw in a couple of beers while im at it.

And that is just me. Looks like a lot, but spread over 1 day its not too much when your on holidays. But the figures speak for themselves.

If you get the AI at a reduced price then I thinks its well worth it.

Some would say - Ah, but would you drink that if you had to pay for it. The answer to that is, - yes because I am on holidays.:eek:

Colin

N Ireland

Can't fault ya :D

When you say throw in a couple of beers :p find that had to believe ;)

Rebel Rouser

Need to have something to wash down all those spirits and cocktails :p

Didnt want to sound like a right Alco, but I may have not included all my drinks. I do like to sample the Free Shots. :eek:

They tried to add a lot of supliments last year but after loads of complaints they pulled their horns in which led me to believe that they will introduce it this year before the summer seasons gets into full swinge.

Not too worry. My taste buds can adapt to whatever is going to be easier on my pocket. :D

Do you know if the minibar is included in the all inclusive package or is it charged the same as the bar drinks??

[

quote=davetheroad;29318304]Approx £3.25 for beer, £3.45 for spirits and £3.95 for cocktails although the price does vary from ship to ship.

£199 for the AI package is the full price, not a special offer.

the brochure price for 2 people on Dream for 6 aug was £2198 a year ago with a free AI worth £298 giving a final price of £1800

Today you can get the cruise for £1540 which is a lot cheaper but without the AI.

Unless you are going to drink more than 57 full price drinks each it is probably cheaper not to have the AI

You can't buy the AI aboard and you should get it for the price it was when you first booked the cruise. All your party have to buy it.

Me and my OH always get the dinks package.

We went on the Destiny in ctober, and when we got home we added up all the drinks costs of the receipts. (They give you receipts even though you don't pay!) We had special coffees and soft drinks during the day, wine with dinner etc., and it totalled £500 for a week! We were gobsmacked. Sounds like we are alchi's, but about half were non-alcoholic drinks.

on our last two thomson cruises got drinks package for £49 considering average prices beer £2,50 or cocktails @£3.50 you dont need to be a heavy drinker to make it pay.Just booked cruise and stay for nov red sea magic had to pay £75 pp for aI upgrade but it is still good value,also dont think you can buy ai package onboard .although cocktails not full strength still go down a treat hope this helps.

Archived