A Tour Not to Take

Hobbins

They look the same as the regular tour vehicles, and they promise you a tour, but what you get is a ride in a bus and a waste of your vacation time. Be aware that the vehicles with 'Virgin Island Taxi Association' designations may not give you the tour you expected.

Our experience consisted of sitting on a speeding bus taking people to different beaches (they paid $8 or $9) while hearing human sounds emanating from a seriously malfunctioning speaker (no one understood what was said). Tried to take photos but bus went too fast. After dropping people off he made a stop at a roadside shirt shop and then proceeded on special trips to pick people up (at different beaches), even waiting at the beach for them to show up. When the bus was full again he went back towards town. And for this the cost was $40 per person!

We learned nothing about the island. Do yourself a favor and take a 'name brand' tour as advised here on CC and stay away from the tour buses with 'taxi' on them (they were lined up right at the dock mixed in with the real tour operators).

They look the same as the regular tour vehicles, and they promise you a tour, but what you get is a ride in a bus and a waste of your vacation time. Be aware that the vehicles with 'Virgin Island Taxi Association' designations may not give you the tour you expected.

Our experience consisted of sitting on a speeding bus taking people to different beaches (they paid $8 or $9) while hearing human sounds emanating from a seriously malfunctioning speaker (no one understood what was said). Tried to take photos but bus went too fast. After dropping people off he made a stop at a roadside shirt shop and then proceeded on special trips to pick people up (at different beaches), even waiting at the beach for them to show up. When the bus was full again he went back towards town. And for this the cost was $40 per person!

We learned nothing about the island. Do yourself a favor and take a 'name brand' tour as advised here on CC and stay away from the tour buses with 'taxi' on them (they were lined up right at the dock mixed in with the real tour operators).

last March was the first time to the island for me - I have to admit that I'm glad I did the carnival tour. It was wonderful - got to see the island, Magen's Beach and blackbeard's castle - I think it was about double what you paid per person but it was a great all day tour.

Archived