Review Mariner of the Seas 3/6 Eastern

weinoh

After much anticipation, the day of our departure was finally here. Me, DH, and two adult DS's were looking forward to the road trip almost as much as the cruise itself. We left Cleveland, Thursday 3/3 after work and drove as far as Charleston WV - about 5 hours w/ a stop for dinner. We spent the night in a Comfort Suites on the highway that provided breakfast and we were on the road again by 9am.

With 4 drivers and stopping every 2 hours or so for a break, we arrived in Savannah GA around 7 PM. We had arranged for 2 rooms at the Hyatt Regency on Priceline. Since the hotel was under renovation- we got a terrific price for this 4* hotel. Our plan was to have dinner at The Lady & Sons restaurant owned by Paula Deene of Food Network fame. We waited the anticipated hour even at 8:15 Friday night. Luckily our hotel was a short walk away and we came back to the hotel after putting our name on the list, to check out the facilities. What a beautiful hotel. Too bad we weren't staying long.

We were up fairly early Sat. morning - we wanted to see as much of Savannah we we could in just under a day. What a beautiful city and the weather was perfect. Not nearly enough time - guess we will have to go back. We left Savannah around 4 PM for the last leg of our road trip. We arrived at the Radisson at the Port around 9:30 PM with a stop enroute. We actually arrived earlier than we originally expected & headed for the pool bar to see if we could meet up with some "Cruise Critic" friends we had met online.

Most had already turned in, but a few had waited for us knowing we were arriving late. It was nice to meet those we had shared our excitement with for the last few months.

The Radisson was very convenient to the Port Canaveral. We left our car parked there as this was included in the price of the room. It saved the $70 parking fee at the port.

I will continue at a later time. Enjoy our experience with us.

TTFN

Shari

Sounds like a great start! Thanks for posting your review so quickly. We were on the Mariner 2/20 (and had a fantastic trip) but I still haven't written a review. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Continuation--

Embarkation: We were on the very first shuttle from the Radisson. It was nice not to have to deal with the incoming traffic to the pier. When we drove up we saw the Mariner in all her glory. What a beautiful ship! We were dropped at the pier, our luggage unloaded and sent on with a porter to be loaded on the ship. We entered the terminal with our few carry-on pieces. We were waiting in line to check in - but we received some preferential treatment to avoid additional waiting. My DH had knee surgery in January and while he is mostly recovered, he is still using a cane for support. We were directed to by-pass the ramps and we took the elevator to enter the ship. All of our paperwork was in order, we had our ID's & birth certificates. I had filled out the pertinent information needed online at Royal Caribbean web site "Before You Board" long before receiving our docs - so everything was in order.

We took the pictures for our seapass cards and then the ship photographers got our first photo as we boarded the ship. The whole boarding process was around 30 minutes.

Since the cabins were not yet available we were directed to the Windjammer for a buffet lunch. It was quite nice and because we had boarded on the early side we had no trouble getting a nice table for 4. We chose our table first and then we went for our meals. I do not like searching for a table after getting food(while it gets cold). There was lots to choose from - anyone would be hard pressed to not find something to appeal to them. The tables included cold salads, hot entrees, and sandwiches, burgers & hotdogs. We enjoyed.

More Later !!

Shari

After lunch we proceeded to our cabins. We had 2 staterooms next door to each other on Deck 7 - Starboard near the aft elevators and the library- 7335 & 7337. We always choose inside staterooms we find them adequate for our needs. We prefer to spend our $$'s on other things.

The staterooms have plenty of shelves, nooks & crannies to stow everything for 2 people. The bathroom is somewhat small, but again, adequate. I really like the circular sliding doors on the shower-much better than the curtains on the older ships that stuck to your body or let the water drown the bathroom.

We met Matthew - our stateroom attendant. He was excellent and we never wanted for a thing. He made up our room once in late morning, and turned down while we were at dinner. I especially loved the towel animals & the chocolates on our pillows.

We were off to explore the ship, since our luggage had not yet arrived. We attended the Mariner Expo on the Promenade Deck. Representatives for several venues on board were there. You could see samples of the cuisine of Chops Grille & Portofinos. There were malt samples from Johnny Rockets.

Each was given a ticket for drawings of prizes - we did not win. OH Well.

There was a placed to pre-order special occasion cakes. I ordered one for dinner tonight - it was my older son's birthday. It was $7.95 and decorated.

Several waiters brought the cake to the table after dinner and sang Happy Birthday. It made the day just a little more special.

After the mandatory Muster Drill- we all looked so cute trussed up in orange,

we headed upstairs to enjoy the sailaway.

Since we had late seating for dinner we went to unpack and unwind before the Welcome Aboard Show at 8PM. Late dinner was at 9PM today only.

More Later.

TTFN

Shari

So sorry I've taken so long to continue. Work has been busy and there was just no extra time.

The details of the rest of the days ae jumbled by now but here are some hightlights.

We had an unofficial "Cruise Critic" meeting just after we sailed from Nassau on Day 2 in the Schooner Bar - it was neat meeting everyone. Tuesday was the official "Meet & Mingle" hosted by RCI. They served cookies and gave away some prizes. I was excited - I won a RCI baseball cap. DH & I had lunch after with a couple we met- while my sons went their own way.

Most of the daytime hours, when we were not in port - I spent on open decks with a book in hand. I just enjoyed watching the sea and sky. So relaxing. Just what I needed.

Ship details: beautiful, beautiful - the art work everywhere, the public areas, the lounges, dining venues, the promenade - all were luxurious and kept spotlessly clean.

Crew: amazing, never wanted for a thing - any request answered with "My Pleasure" Special kudos to Matthew our stateroom attendant and most especially our serving team in the Rhapsody in Blue dining room. Jigger, Elisabeth and Myra were quiet an exceptional team.

Food: we all thought the food was excellent. We did notice that the dessert menu is more limited. We did not feel deprived, however. We partaked of dining room service for all dinners, one lunch, one breakfast. Remaining meals were in Windjammer (buffet service) , Promenade Cafe, room service and 1 trip to Johnny Rockets (used our Crown & Anchor coupon). Good selections in the Windjammer. Promenade Cafe had an assortment of little sandwiches, pastry, cookies, and pizza by the slice a good choice for a snack or a lunch.

Loved those cookies.

Room service breakfast was delivered just when we wanted by ordering the night before. My sons enjoyed the tuna pita sandwiches for lunch too.

The piece de resistance, of course, was the Midnight Gala Buffet -held the second to last night on board. Viewing was 11:30 pm - 12:30. Eating 12:30-1:30. We did not partake as from past experience looks better than tastes and we were not hungry enough after late seating dinner. Don't miss the viewing, though- it is exceptional and amazing what they create.

I will conclude with Entertainment, Ports, and final assessments.

TTFN

Shari

Archived