Mahuo or grand case beach

I am cruising the victory and would like to know which beech you would recommend. Mahuo or grand case. Probably won't have time to do both because we want to go watch the planes land in the afternoon.

I just responded to your other thread the "corrected" one. You mentioned you were deciding between Grand Case and LeGalion. Now that I have read this thread I would offer you another option. Since you want to visit Maho in the afternoon and since both LeGalion and Grand Case are quite far from Maho I would suggest that you do some research into Mullet Bay Beach. Mullet is an outstanding beach and it is a 10 minute walk or a few minute taxi ride from Maho beach and other than the dreadful washroom facilities, it is a spectacular beach. There are chair and umbrella rentals and there is a BBQ shack for food and drinks. Mullet in the morning and Maho in the afternoon is a wonderful combination IMHO.

The island is small and quite easy to get around on and the driving is on the right but the traffic can be very dense and parking in the two major towns can be an issue. We rent a small car when we vacation on the island as it is very inexpensive and it gives us the flexibility that we like. I have never rented for one day on a cruise but I think the price starts at about $75. which is much higher then what we pay per day when we rent for our entire vacation. Also the drinking and driving laws on the French side of the island are very strict with a 0.05 limit so you would need to keep that in mind as well. I am not sure what the law is on the Dutch side but I think they have some in place now as well. Another thing to consider is how you would like to spend your day on the island. If you want to try several beaches and the towns then a car would be worth considering especially for 4 or 5 people because it would be cost effective for a family. For one or two people that want to visit a couple of places, have a few cold ones and enjoy the scenery, then I would take taxis or book a PRIVATE tour. I have read too many stories on hear for me to book a group tour. I like to have some control over my day and who I spend it with.

We rented a small car there several years ago and had a WONDERFUL day! Getting out of town was the biggest problem with the traffic on the main roads, but as soon as we got past that, no problems whatsoever. We went past Maho to Mullet Bay Beach and spent some time there - beautiful, very calm water, beach chairs/umbrellas available. We had seen mention of Dawn Beach somewhere and wanted to go find it. We detoured over into the French side of the island some, then went back toward town to find Dawn Beach. It was a little bit of a search, but SOOOO worth it. Evidently there had been a hurricane on the island in the recent past, so there were some ruined condos, etc. but Dawn Beach must be one of the most beautiful places on earth! The surf there is very brisk, so it was a very different experience for the kids and they loved it. HIGHLY recommend you search it out! St. Maarten in my opinion has more gorgeous beaches than any island I've experienced.

Archived