Chankanaab for College Students

Diane In TN

I'm trying to find a shore excursion to suit our family of 8 -- my DH and me, as well as kids ages 16-23. Two of the kids are in high school, but the others are all in college (or recent grads.) Four boys, two girls. One of the girls majored in Spanish in college, is fluent and is hoping for a "real" experience. (In seven hours, off a cruise ship ...:))

As a rule, we dislike touristy things. We like to get off the beaten track. But the kids want a bit of excitement and adventure, and I don't think they'll want to sit and look at a pretty beach. Snorkeling might be good, as they haven't really done it and Cozumel is our first port.

So I'm thinking of Chankanaab. But is it too touristy? Could we do something else in the morning (what?), meet back on the ship for lunch, and then all go to Chankanaab in the afternoon? Or maybe vice versa?

My husband needs to stay out of the sun, so wherever we go he needs to find some shade (do they run out of palapas in the afternoon)?

Any advice greatly appreciated -- I think we're in port 9 a.m. -6....

we went to chank last september. It was very nice for our family --we did the dolphin swim and it was trip highlight for all of us. We actually did not snorkel as we ran out of time. The day we were there it was practically empty, seriously, I think we only saw 20 other people in the many hours we were there. I almost wondered how they could stay in business but then I guess the price of the dolphin photos might do it for them :-)

We loved it but I'm not sure that's what your kids are looking for. I think its like $20-25 pp to get in--we didn't pay the entry as ours was included in the dolphin swim --but I would think it was a little pricey for just a few hours.

My thoughts are with kids ages 16-23 they won't want to be up too early. the 16-17 have teen activities until 1:30 am. On the Elation I saw on the Fun times the Single Meet is at 11:00 or 12:00 so most stay up late. You might be better off eatting a large brunch and getting off the ship at say 11 am with water bottles, sun screen etc and heading where ever and then boading the ship around 4 pm. By then everyone will be nicely pink and ready for a nap before dinner.

If the ship leaves at 6, you will need to be back onboard at 5. There's a line closer to 5.

My 15 year doesn't even want to leave the ship. he doesn't like walking on sand - he'd rather play basketball. So I think you just need to figure out what your family likes to do and try and find somewhere that offers the most of that.

Maybe they would enjoy a trip to one of the Mayan ruins? We really enjoyed that when we went to Costa Maya. We are stopping at Progresso for our more authenic Mexican visit. You never say which ship you are on or your other ports.

Chankanaab is a lovely place.

While Paradise beach is nice, it is also wall to wall chairs.

Chankanaab is a bit more spread out and peaceful.

As for touristy, it's Cozumel.

But Chaunkanaab is pretty laid back and low key.

If you are happy with a snorkle, a swim and to sit under a palapa and look out at the blue sea and sky, then you'll like it.

From experience I can tell you that my college age kids love the place.

I would try to get there fairly early.

It will be a bit cooler and then you can stay as long as you want and not feel rushed.

And then maybe hit some of the shops near the dock.

There are some shops in Chaunkanaab and the stuff ranges from $1 stuff to pricey art wor

From my experience when the tour groups come through there are more people there.

But the tours seem to actually run through and then the place clears out.

My son loves a nap in one of the hammocks.

And then there are gardens, replicas of stone antiquities set in landscaped walks, some huge iguanas.

In May there seemed to be a sea lion show going on and there were men busily constructing something that looked like a stage perhaps.

They sell cokes, munchies and food along with bar service, but you might want to haul some of your own water or snacks if you have them.

There is also a coupon online somewhere that will give you $2 off per person.

They do require snokle vests.

(You might want to bring some if you have them.

We ordered them online and I would rather haul my own gear, but they are available)

I like that snorkle vests are required because it allows me to be less concerned about other members of our crew who think they are better swimmers than they really are, you know?

Archived