familiar with San Juan?

anjanetted

My family will be in San Juan three days prior to our cruise on June 12th. We will be staying at the Radisson Ambassador and I was wondering what the cheapest route was for getting down town? Was wondering if we would have to take a taxi each time or if there was some other form of public transportation? I am traveling with a family of five so I am just trying to save as much as I can. Any help would be appreciated!!

My family will be in San Juan three days prior to our cruise on June 12th. We will be staying at the Radisson Ambassador and I was wondering what the cheapest route was for getting down town? Was wondering if we would have to take a taxi each time or if there was some other form of public transportation? I am traveling with a family of five so I am just trying to save as much as I can. Any help would be appreciated!!

There are buses. The B21 bus should take you downtown. I believe it was 75 cents each way the last time we were there.

Have you considered a car rental? (we used National and rented a mini van)We have done so everytime prestay and have driver go get car and come back to get us with luggage at airport saving a taxi fare to hotel.

It also allowed us to get to El Yunque rainforest (about 45min I recall from Old San Juan) and most signs are blingual and right side driving, and freeways like US. We also visited a local -mall on way back from rainforest, another time toured the Arecibo huge radio telescope (seen in James Bond movie) intending to go to Camuy Cave but didn't make it to the caves because of time (next time going to add the cave.

Another must do tour we did in Old San Juan was "the segway tours of Puerto Rico" not sure of family ages but requirements are 90-290lbs. We did the two hour fort tour from the Carnival pier (right behind Subway-that is across from CVS) and had a blast. They also offer shorter 45 city tour. But after 2 hours we didn't want it to end! I can confidently say any age if they fit tour requirements can do it- they train you and in 5-10minutes it becomes second nature. Reservations highly recommended and awesome way to see fort- we parked seways right at top of hill by fort entrance. Much better than walking uphill.

Also if you want kite flying is very popular from the fort hill if you have kids.

Have you posted this on the "ports of call" boards? There are a few locals who post there that could answer this in more detail.

We loved Old San Juan, but we stayed at the HoJo Plaza de Armas in OSJ. We also did the Segways and would recommend them. Lots of fun and easy to use.

Taxis have set fares in all the tourist district and they charge per cab, not per person, plus $1 per bag for luggage. Here is a link to the taxis.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

Have a great cruise and enjoy San Juan.

Thanks for the tips? I would have loved to do the segway tour but our youngest is 7 and isn't nearly 90 pounds so we were disappointed about that. The car rental sounds good but about how much does that run? Just curious. We are doing a half day zip-lining tour with Rocaliza tours and they actually come and get us for that. I have posted on the port section but after three days I didn't get any replies so I decided to try on the main site. I will keep checking though.

There are buses. The B21 bus should take you downtown. I believe it was 75 cents each way the last time we were there.

We stayed at this hotel last month and took the bus because the taxis were not running (there was a decathlon going on and some of the streets were closed). The bus was 75 cents (you must have exact change, no bills) and the stop was only a block away from the hotel. The stop we got off at was right across the street from one of the free trolley for old San Juan stops.

Taxi to this hotel from OSJ for 6 of us was about $20... and about the same coming from the port (with few bucks more for all the baggage).

The people a the desk for this hotel have maps and were very helpful.

Hope this helps :)

We took the bus and NEVER NEVER AGAIN!!! It took forever, was crowded and hot. My husband had to stand up the entire time because he gave his seat to an older woman. Spring for the taxi. Its worth it in the long run.

If you like Mexican food....and to be honest who doesn't........there is a wonderful mexican place called Tijuana's a couple blocks awy from your hotel. The drinks are great and the food is great and very reasonably priced for the area.

Also, if you are going to bring wine on board (one bottle each) don't try to find it on Ashford Street (where your hotel is) because the liquor store there has basically no selection and the CVS had about two bottles to chose from. Pick up your two bottles in OSJ.....prices will still be high but at least you will have selectio.....or bring from home...the prices were higher for wine in San Juan than I have ever seen.

Archived