Room Service Quick Question

I don't know for sure, but I thought I read on these boards that you can't get sandwiches before a certain time through room service. It was in a thread about taking food off the ship. Someone wanted to order sandwiches and pack them up to take with them for lunch while they were in port. But the poster said you can't get sandwiches in the am and had to order them the night before to put in the fridge. Sorry I can't remember the exact time, but it seemed like late morning.

You have to order food that is appropriate for that time of day, but it is not necessarily limited to what is on the room service menu.

I also read that about taking room service sandwiches off the ship and fully planned to do it, but I do have two concerns. First, does every room have a refrigerator. We are staying in a promenade room and I'm hoping that will have one. Secondly, I read on a post somewhere that actually carrying the food off of the ship is not supposed to be allowed. That's the first time I saw that. I thought it would be more of an issue bringing food items back on to the ship.;)

The promenade rooms do have fridges. Read that on RCCL site.

I've noticed the mention of not taking food ashore on the Compasses (daily shipboard newsletter) that folks have posted online. It only stands to reason that the objection to bringing foreign food-born bacteria into the states would also apply in terms of the islands not wanting food-born bacteria brought ashore.

The promenade rooms do have fridges. Read that on RCCL site.

I've noticed the mention of not taking food ashore on the Compasses (daily shipboard newsletter) that folks have posted online. It only stands to reason that the objection to bringing foreign food-born bacteria into the states would also apply in terms of the islands not wanting food-born bacteria brought ashore.

That is exactly right. And it's not just bacteria or other pathogens. It's also insects, etc.--as icky as that sounds. For example, if you take an apple with you that is harboring tiny insects or larva in the core seeds and then you discard that apple core in the trash onshore, you may very well have introduced a new insect to the island or country. It's no joke for agriculture. That kind of thing has had devastating effects on crops and other native flora. Any island and country has the absolute right to exclude import (even off a cruise ship) of anything they believe might introduce something previously unknown and certainly unwanted to that location.

Sorry if I'm on my soapbox here, but it drives me nuts when people casually ignore these rules without regard to the serious consequences that can occur.

beachchick

I agree with beachchick. Besides, who wants to eat a soggy, "hours old" sandwich taken from the ship when you are visiting a port of call? Why not sample the local cuisine?

If you are on a Voyager class ship, simply walk to Cafe Promenade and get it yourself. They have great ham & cheese croissants and a great deal of variety. We get tired of waiting for room service and tipping and the 2 flights of stairs never hurt anyone. We really enjoyed going to this place. Does anyone know if it's open when we board the ship? We liked it better than Windjammer.

Karen

Yes, Cafe Promenade is open when you board. It was our family's favorite too, and while the rest of the crowd headed for the Windjammer, we went to the Cafe Promenade and enjoyed a wonderful variety of sandwiches, pizza, desserts and an inaugural Corona with our lunch!! Makes me sad to think about it now.... :-(

I appreciate everyone's response, but I feel the need to wave a flag here.

I didn't mean to imply that we're taking food off of the ship. I simply wanted to know if you could get anything else other than breakfast food from room service during the morning hours. I really liked what boingy300 said. I might just have to get him some sandwiches from the cafe promenade.

We're not taking food off of the ship, we're not discarding apple cores in some island trash can . . . Naren simply doesn't like breakfast food . . . unless its my waffles, but then he doesn't like them for breakfast, they become more like a snack.

You can order from a menu they give you each day. They have everything you can imagine for breakfast though. Juices, fruits, muffins, donuts, pancakes, waffles, strawberrys and whipped cream, omelets, scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, sausages, potatos, cereals, oatmeal, english muffins. Sleep in and you can have sandwiches for lunch along with 50 other things. Lose 10 lbs before you go.

lephysteria: My response wasn't directed at you. I'm sorry if you thought it was. I was responding to other posters who wrote specifically that they planned to take sandwiches and other food off the ship. This crops up often and many people take it far too casually.

To answer your actual question, I don't see why you couldn't add, for example, "1 ham and cheese sandwich" onto the bottom of the room service breakfast form you can fill out each night. I can't imagine that there aren't sandwiches available because there are at least 2 listed on the room service 24 hour menu (that's been our experience). As for asking for a sandwich for breakfast in the dining room, I'm not sure. However, the waiters want to please and will do whatever they can to accomodate you. Considering that lunch is probably already in the prep stage, it would certainly seem that a sandwich might be possible. I'm not much for American breakfasts myself. DH and I eat Scandinavian style breakfasts at home. I've always been able to find fixings (meats, cheeses, breads, etc.) at the Windjammer, even at breakfast time. And don't get my DH started on what a great thing a waffle (preferably with fruit and/or ice cream) is for a snack...you can probably get that too, but I don't know.

beachchick

Cysky,

Is that expansive menu you are talking about the actual room service menu and if so does that mean they change it daily? I've only cruised on Carnival and they had a typical hard bound room service menu that they leave in each cabin for the duration of the cruise. Or are you talking about the daily menus from the restaurants each day changing and they leave copies in your cabin so you know what to expect each day?

Thanks,

Donna;)

For those of you who have cruised on the Mariner, can any of you tell me how long room service takes on an average during the day and evening?

We were on the Mariner last October. We ordered our breakfast the night before, via the interactive TV our cabin. We requested a 7:45 breakfast, and they called us about 20-25 minutes prior to confirm the delivery time was still acceptible. Our breakfast showed up at 7:45.

Coffee, OJ, Omlettes, and fruit... x2. It was perfect.

Archived