Update on Bannister Island?

Orlacher

We're thinking of booking an excursion through RCCL in November and Bannister island was at the top of our list. I see from postings that the island might be a bit "iffy" due to new ownership. Has it gotten any better? Thanks!

Bump!

I'm interested in Bannister Island too!

We sailed Carnival Triumph on June 4. We did the Carnival Excursion Barrier Reef Snorkel and Beach Break, so this may be a bit different than RCCL's excursion. Our tour was picked up from our boat at 12:45, we boarded a 65 ft catamaran. It was a double decker and we sat up top. We went out about 20 minutes. The guides took this time to explain what scedule we would follow and fitted us with snorkel equipment. We got to our snorkel site, they asked new snorkelers to go with one guide and he would help them. The more experienced snorkelers went with two guides. They were in canoes, and kept one guide on one side of the group and the other guide on the other side of the group.

We were suppose to snorkel for about an hour, I didn't time it, so I'm not sure about that. They called us back to the catamaran, and when everyone boarded they did a head count. They then began to serve rum punch if anyone wanted it. It took about 10 minutes to reach Bannister Island. The guides told us we had one hour and 15 minutes and to be back at the catamaran at 4:00.

There were plenty of beach chairs right by the water. They had a bar to buy drinks at, their was a grill selling hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets. They sold bottled cokes. I think the burgers were about $6.00, bottled drinks about $2.00. Their was a volleyball net up, their were canoes and a few other things, but we just got in the water and relaxed. There were floats available also. We thought Bannister Island was a lovely place and wished that we had more time there. I would love to go there again.

I will try to attach some pics, but don't know if I can figure that out. Hope this answers questions that some may have.

• 2 weeks later...
When were the iffy reviews? We liked it a year and a half ago...

No, no the reviews were not iffy. The OP was saying many of us have read that the availablity of Bannister was iffy due to new ownership.

We are book aboard the RCCL Mariner of the Seas for Feb 2012 and we hope to go there too!

Schplinky - we would love to hear about your time there, please tell us.

JD

• 5 weeks later...
No, no the reviews were not iffy. The OP was saying many of us have read that the availablity of Bannister was iffy due to new ownership.

We are book aboard the RCCL Mariner of the Seas for Feb 2012 and we hope to go there too!

Schplinky - we would love to hear about your time there, please tell us.

JD

We were there as part of a larger excursion. We went snorkelling, then there, then Manatee watching. The bar service was good but a little pricey, the food was fine and the beach was deserted. It was a good beach to be in a crowd or on your own.

Archived