Arm amputee and snorkeling

Suelost

Hi, I am a left arm amputee. I lost my arm (and shoulder) to cancer 30 years ago. One of the things on my "bucket list" is to snorkel! A regular life vest does not work for me, because it just floats freely over my head in the water because there is no arm/shoulder on that side. We are booked on the Legend in July, and I would be so happy if I could join my family in snorkeling. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources I could try? Any ideas welcome..... thanks!

Hey Rocky-

Have you looked at "snorkel" vests? The ones we have, have a hole for your head and two straps. One strap that goes around your waist & clips, and another that goes from front to back over your crotch & clips as well. I think this kind of vest might work for you?

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=34&AllocatedProductID=127

You could also try calling these guys. Their customer service is fantastic.

I hope if this doesn't help someone else has an idea. You'll love snorkeling!

Best wishes,

Dawg

I understand that one's body "floats" in salt water --- You can also

see lots of great fish just by standing in the water and/or holding onto the side of the boat on the shore excursion. The suggestion

about the straps on the swim vest would probably help --- you could

also take an extra strap along to thread through the armholes and

tighten around your chest. I am sure you will figure out something -- it's a great experience !!!

You should plan on some type of water shoe (if not using fins) -- rocky bottoms and coral hazards.

The snorkeller vest looks good. There are also waist bands but they do not deflate, are somewhat bulky and rigid and may not holf you high enough in the water when you are treading water.

I also suggest that you invest in your own mask and snorkel - not a high end set for use by scuba divers - just one that you can thoroughly test for air tightness ( and therefore water tightness) and your comfort breathing through the snorkel. If your family have been snorkeling before they would be able to help with this procedure. The rented masks can be a bad fit and you do not always get enough time to test and try until you get the right fit or there may be a limited selection. I always take my own mask and snorkel for this reason. A cheap set I got at K Mart.

Ignore the next suggestion if you are used to water based exercise and are a confident swimmer Try, if you can to get some practice in a pool before you go to learn how to manage the business of clearing your mask and treading water at the same time - in case you do get a leak or get water down your snorkel - happens to us all! Your ship may be in port at high tide and even usually low water snorkeling spots can have deeper sections. You can also test whether you will need some assistance if you cannot find a safe sandy place to touch bottom. If you are game and there is no time or place before you leave, you can always use the ships pool.

I am a confident swimmer and float rather than sink but I always "buddy up" with someone. We agree to look out for eachother.

It is well worth the time and small extra expense! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Colleen

Does anyone know any excursion in St. Thomas or St. Maarten that can accomodate limited mobililty. I and my family love to snorkel, but I have hypermobility that limits my ability to swim. Also, to complicate matters, I just dislocated my shoulder this past weekend and we leave next weekend. UGH!

We have snorkeled using the snorkel vests and I wouldn't be opposed to removing the sling to float, I just can't swim. My DH and DD can help me get in and out of the equipment and boat. It's the swimming part that is tricky.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated, sorry for the quick turnaround. Please feel free to continue to post even after June 2011. I will be checking back for your thoughts and suggestions for future cruises! Thank you all!!!

Archived