sign and sail accnt CASH ONLY

This.^ No way am I running back and forth to the purser's desk all cruise.

Not quite sure what you are getting at. One poster goes one time and pays it off in cash.

Or are you thinking of going down multiple times to add cash? Put in what you might spend. If you don't spend it, a check will be under your door last morning. You can either go to the purser to cash it, or just take it home and put it in your home bank. THe check is good for 60 days.

I would like to use cash for my S&S card instead of giving my credit card information, but I don't want this to turn into an embarrasing situation. My husband and I will use the same account, so if I put $1,000 on it and he spends money that I don't know about I don't want to run into a situation where we don't have money in our account and I am told by a loud bartender that he cannot give me a drink. I also don't want to be in one of the shops and not be able to make a purchase because my card has run out of money. Is this handled discreetly?

I would like to use cash for my S&S card instead of giving my credit card information, but I don't want this to turn into an embarrasing situation. My husband and I will use the same account, so if I put $1,000 on it and he spends money that I don't know about I don't want to run into a situation where we don't have money in our account and I am told by a loud bartender that he cannot give me a drink. I also don't want to be in one of the shops and not be able to make a purchase because my card has run out of money. Is this handled discreetly?

The account can be viewed in your cabin on the T.V. whenever you want. You can also get in line at service desk and they'll check it.

When the cash balance on my sister's ss card started getting low (I think $50-$75? It was a few years ago) they slipped a note under her door to let her know. She dropped another $500 and everything was fine. We only use cash and we've never had a problem :)

There is no reason to use cash instead of CC. If you lack the credit to get a credit card, then rather than cruise, you should focus on shoring up your credit and get your financial house in order.

Let me start off by saying you should not assume a person does not have a credit card just because they want use cash for their S&S card. Everyone has their reasons for wanting to use cash vs. a credit card and you shouldn't assume they have bad credit and can't get a credit card.

The reason I want to use cash instead of a credit card is because last September I was in Myrtle Beach and used my credit card at several stores and restaurants. Once I received my statement there was a $400+ charge on there for an online store located in England that sells baby clothing and baby furniture. I believe a waitress stole my credit card number and used it to place an order. It took several months for me to get this charge removed from my card. Since then I am very careful about using my card. I especially don't use it in restaurants where the waitress takes it to the back room to run the charge. I don't want to take the chance of someone fraudulently using my card and it getting maxed out while I am traveling.

While I'm not sure why people choose to use cash for their S&S sign card (unless of course they have no credit) and I seriously can't absorb why they purchase these funship dollars:p I agree with you as it is silly not to take advandage of the benefits of using a credit card especially on large purchases such as vacations if indeed you do have credit. If you have the cash to give Carnival you certainly have the cash to give to your cc company when you receive your bill....

Another $400 obc credit for us on our next cruise just from using one of our cards.....yeah......of course I guess I could have paid cash and did without the obc.....but why? No brainer for me too.

Sounds like you must be dclarks daughter. I pd for my cruise using a credit card (Discover). I also pd for airfare, hotel and excursions using credit card and I already pd cc off. However I plan on using cash on S&S for my May 6th cruise just because that is my personal choice and I can assure you I have excellent credit (not that it's any of your or dclarks business). Just saying!

I have never taken a cruise yet, but I want to chime in on the reasons to use cash, in response to dclarke.

I used to pay for everything with a CC. Until I realized how much those "free" airline tickets actually cost me. If you sit down and look at how much you have to spend to get the rewards on these "reward" cards, all it does is lead to the materialistic nature of our society today. I pay everything with cash, from hotel bills to airline tickets to big ticket items like TV's. I realized I've saved a lot more by going this route instead of buying things I really don't need, just to get extra points so I get a "free" ticket somewhere. When I do take a cruise, I'll use cash.

You don't necessarily have to have the accounts connected. You have the option of putting, for instance, $500 in your card, $500 on his, etc.

To answer your question, yes they would be discreet, but yes, they can stop the purchase and tell you there is a problem with your card and to go to guest services. (I had this happen once when a vendor entered the security code from my card incorrectly so it was flagged for suspected fraud. I just switched to a different card for the cruise.)

• 3 weeks later...
There is no reason to use cash instead of CC. If you lack the credit to get a credit card, then rather than cruise, you should focus on shoring up your credit and get your financial house in order.

Wouldn't it be quite the opposite? If you have the actual CASH to pay for things on your cruise and don't have to put it on credit, I'd say your financial house is in just fine shape.

I use cash or debit card, so that way when I leave that ship, that cruise is 100% paid for with zero bills to pay...always nice to take a vacation and know you didn't have to put it on credit!

Edit to follow up: My debit card earns points when used as a credit card. So by doing that, I get the benefits of the points, and the benefits of spending money I have and not using credit.

i totally agree , you could not have said it better. I always use cash on my sail and sign. Has nothing to do with credit, i prefer to use cash , that way i have no statements coming in the mail after my vacation is over. I actually rarely use credit at all .... Looking toward retirement and being debt free :)

amen

Ignorant? hardly so, this is wisdom. If you have a credit card, then:

1) You don't have to worry about losing cash. It is never wise to carry large amounts of cash as it can be lost or you can be robbed. It does happen.

2) Credit cards allow the accumulation of points which can be used for different points. The airfare for my family to fly to FLL next week is free, paid with AA points, saving me $1400, money spent better elsewhere. Tell me, what do you get for carry around wads of cash or buying travelors checks?

3) Strange charges? Charges are always contestable and removeable. In fact, CC save $ as they have theft/warranty protection. My daughter has her 3 month old Ipod stolen (value $220), I had a $150 Timex watch fail after warranty and an Iphone 3G that failed just a few months out of warranty. My cc was recredited for the full amount of the items. Cash sure wouldn't do that.

So, there are two types of people who pay cash- those who lack credit or those who are ignorant of the benefits of using cc instead of cash. Saying "I just feel better using cash" is not a logical reason.

We use cash for our vacations and groceries. Our credit cards are for emergencies only (emergency vet bill, car bill, etc.). If we use it, we pay it off the next month.

The way people use credit and/or cash is up the individual(s) and not to be judged by anyone or whether personal decisons are logical or not.:eek:

I have never taken a cruise yet, but I want to chime in on the reasons to use cash, in response to dclarke.

I used to pay for everything with a CC. Until I realized how much those "free" airline tickets actually cost me. If you sit down and look at how much you have to spend to get the rewards on these "reward" cards, all it does is lead to the materialistic nature of our society today. I pay everything with cash, from hotel bills to airline tickets to big ticket items like TV's. I realized I've saved a lot more by going this route instead of buying things I really don't need, just to get extra points so I get a "free" ticket somewhere. When I do take a cruise, I'll use cash.

How much does it cost? I already pointed out! Last year, you could get a UAL and Conti card, spend a couple of bucks on each one and you'd have enough miles to get 4 round trip tickets, a value of maybe $2000, all for free. Yup, free, you could use the card, pay it off, then cancel and cash in the points. Last New years, we all flew for free using points like that. Plus, cash doesn't protect the stuff you buy either. Over our NYE cruise, daughters Lumix water proof camera broke and was a month out of warranty. I called AMEX for buyer protection and guess what? Got a credit for $300! Now, I guess you are filthy rich, walming around with large bags of cash and don't consider that a lot, but to me it is. We have gotten back $350 for the theft of my daughters Ipod, the $200 for daughters Iphone that broke and $134 for a Timex ws4 that broke out of warranty- a total of almost $700, can your cash do that?

If you have problem with controlling your spending, that is not a flaw with credit cards, it is a flaw that you have. Most people go from the concrete to abstract stage around age 8. However, some don't ever leave it. Money management applies here. If you need actual cash in hand to be able to keep track of it, you are still in the concrete stage. People who have problems with this tend to have credit problems- things get out of hand and then you have running balances.

I don't have this problem, I pay off the cards at the end of each month. This June, our flights to Kona are free as are half of our hotels. We have enough points for the next few summers. I have given my advice on how to easily and quickly get free flights. If you have good credit and can manage your money like an adult, why not enjoy $1000's of dollars of free perks?

I use my American Express when I cruise, etc. . I hate to say that it has been 8 years since I have cruised, and I don't even remember what I did about the sign and sail card. I do know that when I left the boat, the amount of my sign and sail card charges were put on my American Express and I paid if off as soon as I got the bill (yes, my mortgage is paid off and I can pay cash, but choose not to). I like my credit card and use it, and my husband likes cash and always uses cash, so to each his own. Anyway, I guess I am suppose to go to the purser's desk and give them my card, right?

I also prefer cash. To the response of why use cash when CC's give you such benefits as points, free airfare, etc. Well my bank debit card (same as cash) does the same. Actually, i'm flying free (2) to my next cruise, hotel, and car rental with points. Actually the Scorecard Rewards gives me such luxuries as using my points for luggage, Nikon or Cannon cameras, cruises, etc. So it is possible to get the benefits of a CC while using cash. No brain-er for me. Maybe this is due to my bank being a credit union and not some big bank :confused:.

Archived