tips

anjanetted

OP, we don't know your financial situation but let's say you budgeted just enough money for this trip and planned on going home pretty much broke but you forgot to budget tips(understandable for a first timer). I can honestly say that I would tip very minimal and make sure I have money when I get home.

If you are a able to pay the tips without affecting your own well being, by all means pay the tips.

The last thing I would ever do is let internet chat forums teach me morals.

at no point has the op even mentioned financial hardship.

but your advice is kinda like telling an ignorant golpher not to pay the caddie if it were to set them back.

OP, we don't know your financial situation but let's say you budgeted just enough money for this trip and planned on going home pretty much broke but you forgot to budget tips(understandable for a first timer). I can honestly say that I would tip very minimal and make sure I have money when I get home.

If you are a able to pay the tips without affecting your own well being, by all means pay the tips.

The last thing I would ever do is let internet chat forums teach me morals.

So you penalize the Service Staff because you fail to budget properly?

If your financial sitution is that tight that you cannot tip at least recommended amount then you should not be taking a vacation.

You are right. But I think there are many people who don't take well to sound financial advice. Spend more than you make mentality.

at no point has the op even mentioned financial hardship.

but your advice is kinda like telling an ignorant golpher not to pay the caddie if it were to set them back.

Bad analogy.

So you penalize the Service Staff because you fail to budget properly?

People do budget poorly. Get over it. If it meant me or them I think you know the answer. I'm not saying I agree but the state of the economy proves millions of people have bad budgets.

OP - you spend your money however you see fit, and allow others to spend their money how they see fit. You do what you want to do.

I love how so many people on here find it very easy to spend someone else's money. :rolleyes:

The thread is about tips. Go figure that people would offer their advice :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow, clearly there are a few people here that have never had to work in the service industry for tips. Unfortunately a lot of people don't realize how little servers/bartenders/anyone in service can be paid per hour with the bulk of their salary made in tips. I think it's incredibly selfish and rude to consider cutting back on tips because you didn't budget correctly. Those people work extremely hard because yes, they are RIGHTLY EXPECTING tips because they need them and that's how the cruise industry works.

I'm just aghast at some of you. I hope you never ever come into my restaurant and expect me to wait on you. And to the many of you that have said you always tip what is suggested and even then some, thank you for understanding and appreciating how hard they work.

Ok - I pay all my tips (so don't assume that I don't), but honestly, I don't really feel that anyone on the ship (room stewart, waiters or waitstaff) has really given me any service that is above and beyond normal, average service. The service isn't bad, but to me, it's never been anything special either.

Ok - I pay all my tips (so don't assume that I don't), but honestly, I don't really feel that anyone on the ship (room stewart, waiters or waitstaff) has really given me any service that is above and beyond normal, average service. The service isn't bad, but to me, it's never been anything special either.

would you do without it?

I'm ready to be flamed here, but I have no intention of leaving the entire $3.50 per person, per night for the the stateroom cleaning. We are a family of five, all sharing a single room. It will NOT take the room steward five times longer to clean our room than it would if there was only one occupant. To take $17.50 per night in auto-tips for a room with five people is unacceptable. And honestly, I don't even care if anybody makes our beds or cleans the rooms while we're there. When we stay in a hotel, we keep up the Do Not Disturb sign and make a trip to the front desk each night for clean towels. I'll probably end up doing the same on this trip. I don't know exactly how much I will end up leave for the stateroom cleaning tips, but it will likely be in the $7.00 to $10.00 range per night.

I'm ready to be flamed here, but I have no intention of leaving the entire $3.50 per person, per night for the the stateroom cleaning. We are a family of five, all sharing a single room. It will NOT take the room steward five times longer to clean our room than it would if there was only one occupant. To take $17.50 per night in auto-tips for a room with five people is unacceptable. And honestly, I don't even care if anybody makes our beds or cleans the rooms while we're there. When we stay in a hotel, we keep up the Do Not Disturb sign and make a trip to the front desk each night for clean towels. I'll probably end up doing the same on this trip. I don't know exactly how much I will end up leave for the stateroom cleaning tips, but it will likely be in the $7.00 to $10.00 range per night.

5 in a room? you may be doing him a favor by keeping that sign up the entire week.

double eek!

would you do without it?

No - I like service - I just haven't encountered anyone that has really given us any special service while we were cruising. The room is cleaned and our food is served - nothing more.

I have to somewhat agree. He doesn't have 5 beds to make. There aren't 5X the number of trash cans to empty. He doesn't make a towel animal for EACH person, etc.

I get your point regarding the room steward only...but the rest of the tips really are based per person/meal.

Because we're traveling cheap (interior), our tips are pretty much spot on at 15% of our cruise cost. But if you're in a suite or balcony, you're paying less than 15%, so I'd say that's a good deal.

I have to somewhat agree. He doesn't have 5 beds to make. There aren't 5X the number of trash cans to empty. He doesn't make a towel animal for EACH person, etc.

no? where do 5 people sleep? there isn't 5 times the amount of garbage and towels and washcloths and soap?

if you are going to cruise pay the tips! If you are going to complain about the cost, don't cruise, the folks who wait on you and are at YOUR beck and call deserve every cent they earn. We tip extra on top of the $10 per day, LOTS extra - when we arrive and meet the cabin steward for the first time Hubby always gives him $50, tells him our tips will stay on the account and that there is more where that came from IF he keeps his wife and daughter happy - we always get great service and at the end there is an additional $50-$100 depending on the service - you also know about tipping the Matre 'd or are you gonna skip out on the dining room on the last night so you don't have too?

The OP is just making a statement. No need to accuse her of trying to "skip out" of paying a tip but I don't always tip the matre 'd. If I don't see the guy until the last night of the cruise, no he isn't going to be tipped. The matre'd is salaried, and makes a heck of a lot more then the waiters and assts. If the matre'd does something special for me, or visits our table regulary, yes I will tip him. It is not required to tip him.

no? where do 5 people sleep? there isn't 5 times the amount of garbage and towels and washcloths and soap?

There are five beds to make, but I honestly don't care if they are even made and I'll tell the steward that in advance. And you're kidding yourself if you think that it takes longer to empty a trashcan with 5 people's garbage than it does to empty the same can with 1-2 people's garbage. Likewise, it takes just as long to pick up a stack of 5 dirty towels as it does to pick up two of them. I'm not even sure what you're talking about with the soap.

I have no problem tipping per-person for dining and the other services, but I don't believe the room steward should be rewarded with $17.50 per night to clean my room just because there are 5 of us in it.

FYI,

The young children the OP refers to are 21, 15, and 7 and is already on her cruise from San Juan. I guess she was shocked when she saw the daily charge on her S&S card the first night of the cruise. Maybe they should have only flown into San Jaun one day prior to their cruise instead of three.

OP, I have three children also. Having cruised about 7 months before taking them, I knew the money would be well deserved but the ONLY way I was going to pay $350 EXTRA was by prepaying it. Our cruise was about $500 per person so I just added it to the bill before I sailed and them it didn't PAIN me as much to part with that kind of money.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN to folks that tell you if you can't afford it, don't cruise. CARNIVAL makes it clear that you can ADJUST or REMOVE the tips. They give YOU the option b/c not everyone thinks $10 per day is a fair amount. Heck...some countries don't believe in tipping.

BUT, I can tell you from personal experiece, I felt GREAT at the end of the cruise when I realized how much the staff worked for myself, my husband and my kids. They knew our names and did everything possible to make us feel comfortable and helped us to enjoy our vacation. I felt my $350 was invested well!

This is YOUR vacation. Everyone has an opinion.....I GET THAT....but what I don't get is why some people feel the need to belittle someone b/c they don't agree with your OPINION.

AND......IF....and that's a BIG if......everyone is dropping $100 bills to the waiters and room stewards, like they "say" they are, then if you lower the tips....the staff is really not losing much if all they are really "expecting" is the $10 per day per person. So no need to stick them in the food stamp line and have you to start feeling guilty.

Bottom line.......DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!

There are five beds to make, but I honestly don't care if they are even made and I'll tell the steward that in advance. And you're kidding yourself if you think that it takes longer to empty a trashcan with 5 people's garbage than it does to empty the same can with 1-2 people's garbage. Likewise, it takes just as long to pick up a stack of 5 dirty towels as it does to pick up two of them. I'm not even sure what you're talking about with the soap.

I have no problem tipping per-person for dining and the other services, but I don't believe the room steward should be rewarded with $17.50 per night to clean my room just because there are 5 of us in it.

it's apparent what you are trying to do squeezing 5 into a room.

this means for every two rooms, there is not twice as much trash, and we should all tip half.

and btw, they clean your room twice a day.

i hear birds.

Archived