wireless internet and skype

freshnotfrozen

:confused: Is it possable utilising the wireless wifi in the public areas on board the Queen Elizabeth, to use skype to phone the U.K., and what will be the charge.

Many thanks.

I think Skype is blocked. It would make sense given the bandwith.

However you can telephone from your cabin. The quality of the call is excellent, subject to slight satellite lag.

Thanks, makes sense what you say. Do you know what the cost of a call from the cabin to the U.K. will be.

Freshnotfrozen,

I have not used it myself, but I understand that it costs about $5 USD/minute? If you do have a laptop computer onboard you can record a quick conversation, then email it to the UK. Wait for reply (a second recorded conversation) from the other party and so on and so forth. Sort of like having a phone conversation with someone on the moon. :D

:confused: Is it possable utilising the wireless wifi in the public areas on board the Queen Elizabeth, to use skype to phone the U.K., and what will be the charge.

Based on my January cruise, I was told by the onboard (QM2) tech that Skype was blocked when using the ship's computers. Whether it will work on a personal laptop I don't know. However, I did make a few Skype calls with my Apple IP 4 during the cruise using my onboard wifi account. Several times I got a message that there wasn't enough bandwidth.

As to the cost, anywhere from 80 cents per minute down to around 30 per minute, depending on which plan you buy. I had the 480 minute plan. When you factor in going on the clock and then failing to be a Skype connection has to add a bit to the cost of Skype usage.

Skye does work from QM2 from my laptop in my cabin. We are currently mid-Atlantic and I have just had a 25 minute conversation with a friend in Marlow in the UK. The audio and video held up most of the time with just an occasional freeze which did not last more than a few seconds. At these times a caption came up warning of a slow service.

I don't know the position with Cunard's onboard computers and suspect Skype might be blocked from them as someone suggested.

Could the slowness of internet access be caused by persons using Skype in their staterooms?

Sure, it may work most of the time, but is it fair to others?

(Could this become a creme dinner jacket issue?:D)

Archived