Rome Hotel Recommendation: Albergo Cesari

ML81

So many times I've seen people asking questions on where to stay in Rome, so I thought I'd post a review here for everyone. We stayed at Albergo Cesari for 4 nights prior to going on our cruise from Civitavecchia on the 29th May.

I booked this hotel as it looked like it had a great location and I got a pretty good deal on the price (their 15% early booking discount), compared to some of the others. We weren't disappointed.

Location wise, it was brilliant. We walked everywhere; we'd walk in one direction and hit the Pantheon in less than 5 mins, walk another direction you'd be at the Trevi Fountain in less than 10 mins. We even walked to the Vatican which took us 35 mins to reach (then another 5 mins to get to the entrance of the museum). It was also a 10-15 minute walk from Piazza Navona.

The room was spacious and clean with everything we needed. There was AC in the room which was great for those nights you didn't want the window open for the street noise. The bathroom was spacious with even a shower over the bath. You might not like a bath but my DH certainly appreciated it after one day of serious walking to ease his aching leg muscles! There was a safe also in the wardrobe which was something we hadn't considered, but we used heavily. They had a selection of TV channels for different languages, but let's face it, we weren't there to watch TV!

Breakfast was served on the roof terrace with lovely views over the roof tops of Rome. Good selection with fresh breads, cheeses, meats, plus cereals, yoghurts, fruits, cakes etc. So overall a good breakfast could be had before the long days.

Service was really good. Our room was cleaned every day, the reception staff were polite and even on the last night, the concierge played a game with us; we couldn't get our key unless we could say our room number in Italian. My DH has funnily enough worked with Italians in the past and was able to remember the individual numbers, so we got our key :p

Tip for you: when you arrive in Rome, you're going to need water (especially in Summer). The hotel provide a complimentary bottle in your room, so when you've finished that, don't throw it away. Rome has natural springs everywhere with fresh water flowing from water fountains. There's one just by the hotel too; head towards Piazza Pietra and you'll see it on the other side of the road, on the left next to the building. Fill up your bottle there, and at any other of the water fountains that are dotted all over Rome - trust us the water tastes amazing and is so cool, you'll not regret this.

We loved Rome, and we've already said that we'd like to return, just at a different time of the year when it's less busy, and I've no doubt that we'd return to Albergo Cesari.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!

My husband and I are planning to stay at the Albergo Cesari for 2 nights before boarding the Celebrity Silhouette in September. Thank you for all the information--it seems that we have chosen well!

Can you recommend any nearby restaurants that would be good for dinner? We would like something nice, but not over the top expensive. Also, because of some food allergies, we would like a restaurant where someone would be able to speak some English.

Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Reggie

Archived