golden vs sapphire

willtup5

I am trying to decide which ship would be better to take on a 14 day hawaii itinerary. The Sapphire or the Golden Princess. Have been on the Sapphire and loved it! Thanks in advance for anyones thoughts on the subject,

Sincerely, David

I think you will enjoy both the Golden and the Sapphire. The Golden has been retrofitted with MUTS, the International Cafe, the Sanctuary and a few other things. The Sapphire gets the retrofit in January. If those things are important to you, then take the Golden this year or the Sapphire after January.

I am booked on the Sapphire in December. I love the Sapphire. I think it is a beautiful ship and MUTS, etc. do not matter to me. The Sapphire schedule also worked better with my work schedule. The Sapphire sails Saturday to Saturday and the Golden sails on Wednesdays.

As much as I love the Sapphire, I would pick the Golden for several reasons: First, they have David Cole, the cruise director, and Elua, a husband-wife team, who play Hawaiian music through the cruise, teach ukelele and hula classes, etc. They are wonderful.

Also, the Golden has the International Cafe, etc.

We loved this cruise so much, we are going back next Thanksgiving!

We did not have Dave Cole as our CD and understand that he is very good. Eula is a good selling point for the Hawaii cruise, if you like what they offer. They are quite popular.

Still, I prefer the Sapphire over the Golden, as far as just comparing the ships. I like the location of Skywalkers better. The spa is larger due to the teen area being elsewhere, and the sauna and steam room are part of the locker areas as opposed to being outside, by the Spa Pool. The Thermal Suite is a big bonus.

I like the intimacy of the four separate, small dining rooms in addition to the main one. I like the hidden Wake Bar, though I know that it will be eliminated with the retrofit in January 2012. Having just been on the Golden to Hawaii, other than the new areas such as the Crown Grill and new Piazza area, I still prefer the Sapphire. I just did a review of the Golden http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1428163.

No matter which one you choose, I am sure you are going to have a wonderful cruise!

We've been on both, and prefer the Golden because they have Elua to get you in the mood before you get to Hawaii. Now if I could only get Elua to go on the Star Princess from San Francisco next year instead of the Golden from LA.;)

Big mahalos to all for the very kind words. While Leialoha and I would certainly love to get out on some of the other Princess ships that go to Hawai'i throughout the season, the Golden is our home ship, and will certainly continue to be up until they decide to switch to another ship as the "full time" Hawaiian ship. I know that the higher ups in the company are trying their best to bring a full and enriching experience to ALL the Hawaiian itineraries, so no matter what ship you go on, you should get lots of aloha spirit.

Aloha Nui,

David

I am trying to decide which ship would be better to take on a 14 day hawaii itinerary. The Sapphire or the Golden Princess. Have been on the Sapphire and loved it! Thanks in advance for anyones thoughts on the subject,

Sincerely, David

Welcome to the most difficult part of your cruise. MAKING THE FINAL DECISSION. We were there many months ago. We have decided to go on Golden.

In our decission making was also the possibility of sailing on Queen Victoria. About the same itinerary, about the same date and about the same price for the balcony cabins.

Even with that we decided on Golden.

Because of:

1. Elua;

2. David Cole; and

3. it is a Princess Ship

Good luck and have fun. The waiting is also hard:)

As much as I love the Sapphire, I would pick the Golden for several reasons: First, they have David Cole, the cruise director, and Elua, a husband-wife team, who play Hawaiian music through the cruise, teach ukelele and hula classes, etc. They are wonderful.

Also, the Golden has the International Cafe, etc.

We loved this cruise so much, we are going back next Thanksgiving!

Another vote for the Golden! Our first Hawaii cruise was on the Diamond. As much as I love the Diamond and Sapphire, I would choose the ship with David Cole and Elua...and an International Cafe makes it even better!

Archived