Exploring on our Own- Mopeds and Snorkeling

ATPerez

My boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise on the Allure of the Seas to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. We're cheap mid twenty kids that want to go out exploring on our own rather than pay someone to do something we could go out and do ourselves. The beaches I want to go to on St. Martin are

• Baie Rouge
  • Dawn Beach
  • Mullet Bay

My first concern is transportation. We both thought it would be fun to rent a two person scooter or moped and explore that way. I'm concerned about if we park it in the parking lot and go snorkeling at the beach, someone might steal it.

Is there a way to lock scooters up to a pole or what not? Are we better off taking taxis? Are taxis always hanging out at the beaches?

My second is about snorkeling. Where would we put our day packs to make sure no one stole it?

We really want to explore the island by ourselves, but I am concerned about safety. Do any of you have any advice for us?

My first concernwould be for your saftey. I have seen scooter/

motorcycle accidents on the island and way too

Many near misses to recommend this mode of transportation. Rent a caror a jeep if you don't need a/c.

As I mentioned before, we're cheap. We can't afford to rent a car :(

And my boyfriend has been riding dirtbikes since he was 8. And he's a bus driver on icy roads and cliffs. He's a good driver. Should we still be worried?

As I mentioned before, we're cheap. We can't afford to rent a car :(

And my boyfriend has been riding dirtbikes since he was 8. And he's a bus driver on icy roads and cliffs. He's a good driver. Should we still be worried?

Sounds like he has lots of experience so he will probably be just fine. I find that the drivers are very courteous when it comes to letting cars out of store lots and streets etc but the average scooter driver takes way too many chances passing where they have no business doing so. If he is careful you guys should be fine. The roads are fine and there are not many pin point turns or any roads that are on the edge of a cliff near the sea, the roads are just busy.

regarding leaving your mopped by the beach. Baie Rouge is a trek and stairs away so there is no way to keep an eye on it from the beach. I would think that Dawn would have the safest lot buy that is just an educated guest because of where the parking lot is. The lot is near a resort and a beach bar. Mullet is another one that could be iffy leaving it unattended. The beaches that I know of that you could keep an eye on it from would be LeGalion , Maho and Friars. I think that it would be pretty safe in the parking lot by Anse Marcel beach as well as it is pretty north on the island but the road to that beach is perhaps the steepest and curviest on the island! Maybe they can give you a lock and you could lock it to a fence or a pole at the beaches of your choice?

From an earlier post:

Not sure of the best way to explain this.

There are three problems as I see it.

1. Many local drivers on the island are just plain crazy. Especially those on two wheels, cutting in and out of traffic at will, with no concerns, perhaps a death wish. The rest of the traffic has to react to that, and sudden stops and crash avoidance maneuvers are common.

2. There are 10's of thousands of visitors on the island every day, many driving. Most are unfamiliar with the roads and driving conditions, so are sometimes slow and/or unsure, thus complicating the situation. See the end of statement #1.

3. Road/street conditions are less than perfect, as is signage. Combine that with #1 and #2.

I want the steel frame of a car wrapped around me for protection.

gary

How about taking the local bus that goes around the island? It is easy and very inexpensive. :)

It seems that the OP is looking for inexpensive ways to visit Baie Rouge, Dawn beach and Mullet beach. While the bus would be fine for Mullet it is definitely not easy to get to and from Baie Rouge on a bus and I have never heard of cruisers reporting back that they took the bus to Dawn either. :)

Karysa - I see what you are saying, I figured they could switch buses at Marigot and then get to Baie Rouge, like we switched and then went up to Grande Case.

And the bus doesn't go to Dawn either, huh? I didn't know this..thanks for the info.

I'll make not of this info for our March cruise. :)

Archived