Getting around Barbados

bangzoom6877

From the ship and the port you can walk to Pelican Village, a tourist shopping area, mostly crafts. and then into Bridgetown. If you want to see Barbados at all and want reliable transportation, I would recommend one of the tours from whatever cruise line you are using. The busses used, most of them anyway, are good safe well maintained and the drivers are very good.

Public Transport with a 15mth old may not be the answer for you. Taxi's would be your best bet, even without a car seat. Sit in the back.. and if you really need one, let me know I have at least 1 you can borrow for the day.

Unfortunately, while it's "the law" in Barbados that all children under the age of 4 be in an approved saftey seat, "the law" doesn't really get used.

You can also "walk" if you want up past the Shallow Draught and go to Weisers on the Beach.. about a 15min walk and with a stroller for your child shouldn't be to difficult. nice calm beach.. and a restaruant right there..

enjoy

Tell me what day and ship you will be on.. I "might" be able to get a carseat down to the port for your use for the day. Might make things easier, depending on what you want to do. (honestly it will depend on the day.. only because then I have to figure out how to get it to you.. and get it back)

The only other thing I really can recommend is going via taxi to and from and sittting in the back. Not that I don't want you to worry about having a car seat, but if he is in the back between you and hubby, it would be better than not seeing Barbados at all.

You may just want to spend the day on the beach of you don't want a tour, and as I said before you can walk there.

I have another suggestion. I have something that looks like a cloth triangle that is made by Safety First. It works with a shoulder and lap belt if he is big enough at 15mnths you could at least position him in the back on the side by the shoulder belt and this would help hold him in place. Of course it depends on how big your child is.. and also how much he wants to see out the window.

• 7 months later...

We will be coming off Windstar Windsurf in early AM 12/4/05, and our plane leaves around 3p. Any suggestions for what to do in Barbados for those hours (we will have our luggage), a tour, beach? - and what time should we get to the airport?

Thanks,

Kathy

I would recommend, if they still have this, that you do the island tour that includes the drop to the Airport. I believe your luggage will be taken there and you'll get to see Barbados before flying out. for a 3pm flight I would say getting to the airport by 1pm would be fine. The tour company will have that info built in to the tour.

Enjoy the Wind Surf (great ship) and have a great cruise.

Hello

We will be in Barbados on RCCL serenade Dec. 1(05). I will be with DH and our 13yr. DD as well as 2 of our closest friends. We are all very open to explore the island, but are unsure of what is the "have to see's" of Barbados. We have unfortunately waited to long and cannot book the Silver Moon (?) catemeran. I usually have everything booked out months in advance, but not this cruise, life's been to busy! If anyone has any ideas, I would so appreciate your advice. We love to snorkel and carry with our own equipment, so is there good snorkeling close to the pier? Or are there other reputable snorkeling excursions to be found yet? Also, we are a little picky as well, we like to be in fairly small groups, not hords of Would renting a car be worth our $? I see we could rent a mini moke, they look really fun, but are they safe enough?

Thanks for all the help!

Archived