Which restaurant ??????

On our last night in Vancouver we are thinking of either Five Sails ( we are at the Pan Pacific) or Boathouse. As we have a hungry big guy with us which restaurant will give us the best meal and enough food? Don't mind the price as long as you get enough to eat. One hungry man equals one grumpy vacationer.

On our last night in Vancouver we are thinking of either Five Sails ( we are at the Pan Pacific) or Boathouse. As we have a hungry big guy with us which restaurant will give us the best meal and enough food? Don't mind the price as long as you get enough to eat. One hungry man equals one grumpy vacationer.

I saw your previous posting asking about good restaurants for a special dinner and "enough food", but didn't know how to answer. It was difficult to know what was more important to you - good food OR portion size. Now, you've narrowed your choices down to two very different restaurants and it's still hard to answer.

My gut feeling is that your hungry big guy will not like Five Sails. It is very expensive and the emphasis is on fine food, not quantity of food. The Boathouse restaurants are more moderately priced and have a casual atmosphere. I consider their portion sizes average - not too small, but not large either. That being said, their serving sizes still may not be what you are accustomed to in U.S. chain restaurants. (At least you'll be able to order more dishes for your big guy and not break the bank if he's still hungry vs. Five Sails.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've browsed the menus online for both the Boathouse & the Five Sails. If I had a hungry guy with a big appetite I think I'd choose the Boathouse.

He could choose a larger portion of prime rib, or steak with seafood (served with garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables) and if you add an appetizer and/or a salad, I think that might hold him for a few hours. Then there's always dessert to fill that last empty corner of his stomach.

Here's hoping you have a very un-grumpy vacationer. Enjoy your stay in Vancouver and your dinner wherever you decide to go.

Archived