Slicing & Dicing of The Summit

Bundles917

What Happens After The Summit Soltisation?

Once X x's Summit's open, Sunrise aft deck (eliminating the full jogging track plus port and stern areas for sunning) by adding cabins-- and adds more cabins on Deck 3 (eliminating the meeting rooms while cutting in-half the movie theater... the public lounge chair wars could be beyond entertaining. More people. Less open deck space. Fewer lounge chairs.

As a fan of the Summit... I'll miss the old deck plans. The new loading up with cabins and cutting down of public spaces (Reflections - nearly half of it to be removed, The MDR... Blu takes over part of the upper level and the grand stair case goes sayonara, The Champagne / Martini Bars... one eliminated/the other downsized) all changes will erase the wonderful flow of traffic and possibly make for a ship that seems to be a forced, cramped jigsaw puzzle.

I'm glad I got one last voyage on her before the slicing, dicing and squeezing begins. A refit yes for the ship is needed. But not a cramming.

C'est la vie.

I too miss the old S class layout. I'll particularly miss the full jogging/walking path. This was one of my favorite features of the M class ships. Some other lines still have walk around veranda decks, but as long as it wasn't bad weather I preferred the open path on the M class.

I also miss the old Martini bar. The new martini bar on Constellation was a wonderful lively spot - but not nearly as nice a place for meeting up with new and old friends as the old Martini bar. And Cellarmasters was almost a joke. I won't go into all the problems we had there but I'll leave it to say there were many and the area seemed to be sued primarily as a waiting area for select dining and not so much as an active lounge on our cruise. On nights that you could hardly move in the new martini bar Cellarmasters was nearly empty.

The best thing they did on the refurb was the addition of the Tuscan Grille. What a great restuarant. Bistro on 5 is a nice option as well. Other than that some of the changes were nice but none of the other physical layout changes did much for me. Of course it is always nice to see updated carpeting and decor.

I am booked on the old Summit and am interested in booking for the new summit just to see the differences. I miss the Nordic Empress, and have considered booking Pullman just to be back on her again. . . sigh.

I took the next to last cruise on the Mercury and loved her..

K

Did the cabin have a new color scheme, linens etc?

Yes

The cabin had been redecorated including carpeting, curtains, bedspread, upholstery. I don't know if the linens were changed as they are plain white. The furniture was the same, just recovered. There were no changed in the bathroom, the unupholstered furniture or the deck furniture. There was a new flatscreen TV.

Archived