Looking for reviews of Caye Caulker

Schplinky

We were thinking of going to Banister island but think we might go to Caye Caulker instead. Can anyone comment on whether there are beach bars with chairs you ca use for the day, or people on the beach renting loungers?

We were thinking of going to Banister island but think we might go to Caye Caulker instead. Can anyone comment on whether there are beach bars with chairs you ca use for the day, or people on the beach renting loungers?

The best way to get a feel for Caulker is to go to youtube & watch a few videos. It's a small, laid back place where everything is very casual.

It's not a stunning beach place - nothing like the long beach stretches filled with resorts that you see at some other cruise stops. There are a few little beach bars, the best of which is at the very end, at "the split." It's called the Lazy Lizard; I don't recall there being lounge chairs for rent, just people laying on towels & such for the most part. There were a few chairs scattered, and a couple of wooden picnic tables in a small, natural "pool" that is a foot or 2 deep. Also seating at the bar & in the restaurant. You just pick a spot in the sun or shade & plop down.

We (wife, 7 & 5 y/o sons, and I) absolutely loved it & are considering a land-based trip there.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there w/Carnival in 2004 New Years Eve Day. It rained -- no it poured all day.

We took the high speed tender excursion at $100 pp to Caye Caulker and had a horiable time. Now if the sun was shining I am sure it would have been different. But after paying $400 as there was 4 of us it did not seem like fun.

Nothing to do but sit at the bar in the cold rain.

and then the cold rain back to the ship at a high speed felt like bullets hitting you.

Anyway if the sun is out I am sure it would be nice. The beach is not much as stated but you could have fun.

Caye Caulker is a Village, a real town with real residents. Banister is a excursion island.

Banister will have more things set up for your group. But as stated if you research Caye Caulker you will see what a neat place it is to spend a day.

We went last year. It is not anything like we have done in the Carribean before so I can't give you a frame of reference. They only place we did see someone renting chairs was by the Lazy Lizard. It was just a lady set up there, renting them for about $5 per chair. You carried it over to the small area called "the split". There weren't any umbrellas. the split is nothing like a beach in say, Cozumel. Youtube would be a good place to look but photos online seemed to make it look much better than it really was.

Personally, I enjoyed the day, seeing how the locals lived and walking around. My husband didn't like it. My kids thought is was just okay. They would have much rathered Bannister I think. The BIG downfall for me was the time it took to get there, 45 minutes one way. For that reason, I wouldn't return again.

Archived