St. Maarten taxi questions

Hi,

I posted this on the St. Maarten board, but I think that everyone that frequents that board is on a cruise right now, as I've not received any advice. So I'm posting the same question here, hoping that y'all will be able to help us. :)

When our AOS ship is in St. Maarten, we plan to use taxis for our transportation.

We'd like to first go to Mullet Beach, and stay there for a while, then go to Maho Beach and stay there for a while, then go to the shopping street, then back to the ship.

So my question is:

Should we hire a taxi to take us around for the day? (I'd hate to have the guy wait for us while we're lounging on a beach. (I had the same guilty feelings about the driver in India too). Does the driver really not mind waiting for 3 hours while we're at a beach?

OR -

If we are going to stay at a particular beach (or shopping) for a few hours, should we just take different taxis for each leg of our exploration? Are taxi's THAT readily available?

What would you do if you were us? :)

When we were in St. Maarten's we had a taxi take us to the beach. We then wanted to go shopping for a few hours in the afternoon. We told the taxi to pick us up at the beach at a certain time and he did. It worked out fine.

We took a taxi to Orient Beach last year. We just arranged a pick-up time with the driver. I don't think he waited, but he was there at the pre-arranged time.

BTW, we were the only ship in port that day, so getting around was real easy. I have heard that on peak days there are as many as 9 ships docked at one time. I have no idea what the cab situation is like then.

If I remember my islands, you don't need a taxi to go to and from the shoping district in Philipsburg. There is a water taxi that goes from the port to town. If you want to go to the French side of the island, you will need a taxi.

Archived