Foreign Currency / Traveler's Checks

dfung

We are going on the Carnival Pride on our Mexican Riviera cruise very soon! Very excited. But what I'm curious about is money. Someone told me there was an ATM on board the ship. I find this hard to believe. Surely that thing would be cleaned out quick!

Would you recommend we get Mexican currency now and bring it down, get traveler's checks, or just bring US dollars down there? I supposed I could use my credit card, but i'm thinking most cc companies will charge for the conversion. Perhaps we should just get money direclty from banks there. ah who knows!?!?!

Travelers checks are widely accepted. Most all shops do accept US currency as well. Like the previous poster said some will give you change in Mexican currency. Some have given us change in US currency as well.

There is a hefty charge on withdrawals from the ATM's on board ships. The pursers desk with cash Travelers checks for you so don't bring all that cash. As the other posters have stated, most shops will take the almighty green back. They prefer it over the local currency. Have a great trip.

Dave

Archived