What to do when you need a dentist?

valtandc

Folks, I am a general dentist.

For the OP, if you have a problem with a tooth, go to your dentist ASAP. Its impossible to diagnose a situation over a long distance. Your own dentist, who knows your history, will be able to give you the best advice for your particular situation.

If the tooth has to be prepared for a crown and it requires a provisional restoration (aka a temp). you should be in good shape for a least a month or so. Temps can become loose and fall out, but this is the exception as opposed to the rule. Again, let you dentist know that you will be heading out of the country for a while and they will recommend the best treatment for your particular case (There are thousands of different materials used in dentistry, several of which can interact adversely with each other. I would not recommend a specific product for you without knowing what was done before).

I never go anywhere without a bottle of Ibuprofen in my travel bag. In my professional opinion, this really is the best OTC medication, not just for dental pain, but for general pain relief. You can take up to 800 mg every 6-8 hours if pain arises.

I would visit a dentist in a less advanced country with a degree of trepedation and as a very last resort. I live and work in southern New Mexico, not far from the border and frequently I am asked to repair the damage done by dentists in Juarez. I am continually shocked at the deliberate malpractice that is often performed by these individuals. The educational and regulatory standards are not up to the level of care that is expected in the US and Canada. If you develop a problem that is severe enough, rely on the ship's medical staff for professional guidance, go to the dental providers that they recommend, and try to limit your treatment to pharacological therapy until you return home.

If you develop a problem that is severe enough, rely on the ship's medical staff for professional guidance, go to the dental providers that they recommend, and try to limit your treatment to pharacological therapy until you return home.

Excellent advice contained in your post! Especially this part~ knowing I was boarding my cruise with an unhappy tooth with a potential root canal and a temporary crown, getting my RX filled ahead of time was a perfect solution to get me through until the cruise returned to the U.S. I would not have dared gone to anyone other than my own dentist :)

Archived