Camp Carnival - Concerns

avandrie

With regards to my experience with Camp Carnival and children with special needs, we didn't experience any troubles. I contacted the special needs e-mail address to explain my daughter's condition (she has something called PANDAS - more on that later), and then my father's son has Aspergers. The special needs department suggested that we speak directly with the camp counselors on the first night since neither child is severe in condition.

The counselors were very understanding and willing to help us. They offered us the pagers, but we didn't think it would be necessary as we knew we'd check in on them often.

The only hiccup experienced was that my father's children were in the 9-11 class and they forgot to deny permission for the children to check themselves out. This freaked them out when they returned to get them and their children were gone (scavenger hunt). They requested to put both children in the 6-8 class and that's where they stayed (with my daughter).

Long story short, I think the counselors did great with our kids despite their special needs.

(In brief, PANDAS is a Pediatric Autoimmune Neurological Disorder Associated with Streptococcus - anytime my daughter is exposed to strep or other infections her body starts to attack the behavior part of her brain causing her to meltdown without any notice. Almost seizure like, she rarely recalls the ordeal once the meltdown ends. Pediatric by definition we're hoping this goes away once her hormones change. She's currently on a treatment that has been very successful and we've not had any problems - not on the last cruise, and not since. Whew!)

Avandrie ~ thanks for your reply as well. I just sent an email off to the special needs department, so I hoping to recieve a reply from then at some point before we sail! I have actually heard of your daughter's disability ~ Our sitters son has PANDA as well. I am glad to hear you daughter is doing so well!!

I am very relived to know that they did grant the request of the 2 older children to be moved down to the 6-8's. Hopefully they will be able to do the same thing with Caden. he would really fit in SO much better with the 2-5's then the older children. He wouldn't related at all to a 7 or 8 year old. Developmentally he is around 4.5. Both boys can help each other out as well if they are togheter. Caden can help Colin interact and Colin helps Caden speak when others do not understand. They work well as a team.

I am SO very glad to have found this board. You all have been a wonderful help to me and settled many uneasy feelings about the upcoming trip! :D

Archived