barbados- limited Mobility- Any Ideas?

ehrlichpuppy

DH & I both have some mobility issues. No wheelchairs, but I walk (slowly) with a cane because of a bad back & arthritis & he gets short of breath easily. does anyone have any sugestions? We were thinking of maybe just doing the distillery tour through Celebrity.

There are many tours that are offered that are via car. They point out the amazing sites and stop for photo ops. Then they take you to the shopping district were you can find a nice restaurant and take in the local flavor. This may be more your speed. The rum ditillery tours does have walking about which may be too much for you. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I also have walking difficulties, but didn't find it a problem in the Caribbean. As so many cruises start/end in Barbados, everything is very well organised. At the exit of the cruise terminal are lots of taxis and buses going to various destinations.

You just say where you want to go and you are poiinted in the right direction.

We did an island tour with two other couples. If I remember correctly it cost us about 25USD each. We had an excellent driver/guide who was very good and very knowledgeable. Much cheaper than booking shop's excursions. You can do as much or as little walking as you want and don't feel you need to keep up with a large group.

DH & I both have some mobility issues. No wheelchairs, but I walk (slowly) with a cane because of a bad back & arthritis & he gets short of breath easily. does anyone have any sugestions? We were thinking of maybe just doing the distillery tour through Celebrity.

ehrlichpuppy; know how hard to move around I'm like you bad back, arthritis in both hips, short of breath and relay on a cane but I am still visiting Paynes Beach to swim with the turtles from the beach and then to Carlise Bay. Last Dec. had knee surgery two weeks before the cruise(west carib) still went and was able to do some swimming and snorkeling at two ports.Was pure h*ll.but will be going it again this Jan.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, know what you mean. The worst part is the walk from the ship to the cab area, but once you're there, just rent a cab, tell them you have mobility issues and let them show your their island! We did 4 years ago, and I wish I still had our driver's name because he was wonderful. We wanted to see a distillery but were concerned about the bigger one so we tried Malibu Rum - where they also have a lovely little beach. We also saw St. James Church (Episcopal??) where President Reagan visited - it is beautiful and there are all sorts of folks who are delighted to tell you all you want to know. We also saw a mahogany factory where they did ceramic figures and statues - small, but really nice. I still have a "snakewood" walking stick from there. The driver never steered us wrong, and I'm sure you'll have a great time too. The people here are among the nicest in the Caribbean - enjoy! We'll be doing the same on 12/7! If it's a real issue with you, consider getting a lightweight scooter. I have one that the two of us can lift into a trunk easily, and it lets me go wherever I want. One suggestion though, get the larger battery if you do a lot of travelling! Mine has been all over the Caribbean and back again without problems.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to have my DH take a look at this thread.

I just switched from a 4-legged cane to a walker with a seat- I was feeling VERY insecure & almost fell several times. I may need more back surgery. I'll have to figure out if I will be able to fly afterwards. If not I will just put that off untill after I return. I REFUSE to cancel my trip. It is our 40th anniversary in August & we are celebrating with this November cruise (if there can be Christmas in July, why can't I have aniversary in November LOL) We have rented a scooter for on the ship but I don't know if it is collapsible or not or if we can take it off the ship. We have an aft veranda on the Summit & I refuse to give it up- both for the veranda & better room service menu & for the extra tier point- after this cruise we will be Select on Celebrity

Archived