Review: Sandcastle on the Beach (June 11, Serenade)

April-in-NC

We walked from the pier to Sandcastle on the Beach (about 20 minutes or so). The walk wasn't hard (but my shins got tired because I was in flip flops) and it wasn't near as humid as it had been earlier in the week.

DSC01150.jpg

I pre-reserved a day pass ($5) but they didn't ask for my name at the front desk so I'm not sure it is necessary to pre-reserve unless there are a lot of ships in port that day.

I had been having second thoughts about Sandcastle, it gets good reviews on the ports of call board, but I wasn't sure the beach was going to be "pretty" enough for me. I see a lot of pictures with rocks and it kind of worried me. I figured I was overthinking things and for $5 I could deal with it for the day. LOL

Once I saw the beach I knew I had been overthinking it! Yes, there were some rocks, but there was plenty of soft white sand to be found and later in the day I was grateful to the rocks. LOL

DSC01082.jpg

We had a clear view of the Serenade docked at the pier.

DSC01081.jpg

We got there around 9:00 and didn't leave until sometime between 12:30 and 1:00. I spent most of the time standing in the surf hunting sea glass (lots to be found once you know what you are looking for). The surf was a little rough so I found it a little easier to stand on the big rocks since I didn't have to deal with the sand shifting beneath my feet.

DSC01111.jpg

There were some stand-up surfers offering lessons and I saw two different horses swimming, I am assuming you could pay for a ride if you wanted to. I didn't see ANY motorized watersports or other rentals but it made for a peaceful morning on the beach.

Sandcastle does have a beach bar/cafe. I paid $2 for a Diet Coke but I didn't check on food prices. The day pass allowed access to restrooms, outdoor shower, swimming pool, cafe and a beach chair. They did offer a package deal for $25 for 2 chairs, 1 umbrella and 2 rum punches.

It was a wonderful morning and if I hadn't been starving I could have stayed there all day!

We took the taxi back ($6 per person) and I did some souvenir shopping before getting back on board at 2:00 for some lunch.

For more pictures of Sandcastle and the port area: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/AprilHoward/Serenade%20of%20the%20Seas%20St%20Croix%20June%2011%202011/

Archived