Taking baby on Alaskan cruise

sunset785

I am looking into doing an Alaskan cruise next summer (probably the end of July). I am due the last week of December so our baby will be about 7 months old by that time. Of course, I wouldn't be booking this trip until baby was here. I am looking at NCL.

Will there be shore excursions that we will be able to participate in? I don't want to just shop in Alaska, I would like to be able to do some sight-seeing. If you have taken a baby to Alaska, what excursions did you do?

Thanks!

Our youngest wasn't a baby when we went to Alaska (it was just prior to her 4th birthday) but we had similar limitations in that we weren't able to do any "adventure" excursions. When deciding what to do we needed to keep in mind whether she would be able to keep up - and I was fine with that - it just means a different type of Alaskan vacation.

The ports that we visited were Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. In each of these ports there were activities available that were fine with young children (or babes in arms) and I rarely had an opportunity to shop. :) In Ketchikan we walked around exploring the town and went to the Lumberjack Show. In Juneau we went on a whale watching cruise which would definitely be fine with a baby - the boat was fairly large and you could get in out of the sun when you wanted to. From Skagway we went on a combination bus/train trip - a little boring for preschoolers but if my kids had been babies I'm sure that the motion of the bus and train would have had them sleeping through the entire thing.

I think you'll be able to choose from a number of activities that would be fine with a baby along - in some respects they are easier at that age as you don't need to entertain them you only need to keep them comfortable and they'll be happy.

Lisa

Archived