Looking for a peaceful beach for a relaxing day

TLHB70

Let me start by saying we are beach bums. This upcoming cruise will take us to Barbados for the first time. I am researching beaches now. We would like a peaceful, relaxing beach day. For us, quiet is key. We are not looking for a party atmosphere. We would like to have chairs, umbrella, changing/bathroom facilities, and food/drink. We are open to getting a day pass at a resort if needed. Please give me your suggested beach recommendations. How far from the ship? Can I get a taxi there? I have never been so I need to learn everything to expect.

Thanks!

I guess it depends on what time of year you are going and how long you get to stay on the island. The more amenities you want the busier the beach will be. I liked Dover beach and Rockley beach. Many of the locals like Miami beach. You can get a taxi or get on the island bus. I think the taxi route will cost you 7.50 USD pp each way. The bus is 1.00 USD each way. You have to be a little more savvy in your travels to understand how the taxis run but it is an adventure in itself.

We plan to go to Lobster Alive at Carlisle Bay, which we understand is a 10 minute taxi ride or 25 minutes walk from the port. For $15 we get two lounge chairs, a huge umbrella and 3 drinks (rum or soft drink). It will be ideal for us!

We were there last January and spent the day at Carlisle Bay. When we asked the taxi driver to take us to Carlisle Bay he dropped us at 'Harbor Lights', which is a club or rather a building you walk through to rent the chairs and umbrella. I think we made a good choice. A short walk up the beach and you'll come across the Boatyard and Lobsters Alive. I'm glad we were at 'Carlisle Bay'. You could definitely tell a difference between the three areas on the beach from the type of rented chairs. Boatyard and Lobsters Alive seemed much more congested, the lounge chairs were not as nice and the over all atmosphere on the beach was not as quiet as Carlisle Bay. Although there is not much space between the three beaches (a short leisurely walk), you can see a distinct difference. We plan to return to 'Harbor Lights'/Carlisle Bay next March....most definitely.

Essexlass2 and TLHB70: I can not remember exactly how much we paid for lounge chairs and an umbrella (and I can't find my notes I made for that trip) but it wasn't too bad (or I would remember that). I do remember the chairs were a blue plastic or cloth type full fabric (not the typical white plastic strips....if you know what I mean). If I were to guess, the cost was between 20.00-25.00 for three lounges and one umbrella. I sorta remember a sign for beach beds (but not exactly sure) and they were much more. Sorry for being so unsure; we visited nine islands that trip and it's hard keeping it all straight in my mind. I do know I enjoyed Carlisle Bay and plan to return next March :) I'll try to do a bid more research on this for you and report back if I find out anything more.

Essexlass2 and TLHB70: I can not remember exactly how much we paid for lounge chairs and an umbrella (and I can't find my notes I made for that trip) but it wasn't too bad (or I would remember that). I do remember the chairs were a blue plastic or cloth type full fabric (not the typical white plastic strips....if you know what I mean). If I were to guess, the cost was between 20.00-25.00 for three lounges and one umbrella. I sorta remember a sign for beach beds (but not exactly sure) and they were much more. Sorry for being so unsure; we visited nine islands that trip and it's hard keeping it all straight in my mind. I do know I enjoyed Carlisle Bay and plan to return next March :) I'll try to do a bid more research on this for you and report back if I find out anything more.

Thank you for the information. This seems like a perfect place for our beach day!

Carlisle Bay is a very good choice for all you are looking for. Nice water, quiet (at least when I was there), food/drink, changing rooms/bathrooms. There is also a Hilton at the end of the beach where you can get a day pass.

Carlisle Bay is a very good choice for all you are looking for. Nice water, quiet (at least when I was there), food/drink, changing rooms/bathrooms. There is also a Hilton at the end of the beach where you can get a day pass.

Are there additional benefits with a day pass there other than use of the pool? I am wondering if a day pass would be worth it.

Would I need to contact the Hilton ahead of time about a day pass?

• 3 weeks later...

Try Malibu Rum - you do a tour of their distillery if you want, and then have access to their lovely little beach and a free drink! There were showers, chairs, everything you could want, plus a lovely beach area. Music, yes, but not intrusive. There were a few sales folk...braid ladies, cigar men, but they weren't intrusive. We're going back here!

I've only been to a few beaches and I found dover beach to be quite peaceful. however, there are at times when a bus pulls up with lots of cruise travellers. but still tends to be quiet. beach chairs are $2.50 US or $5 barbados and you get a free umbrella. lots of lounge chairs, bathroom, some jet skis, a few pavillions for food and at the opening of the gap for a nice walk. if they try to charge you more, then you are paying too much there. however, I went to accra beach a few weeks ago and it was empty. one guy wanted $15 barbados for 1 chair. then you pay more for the umbrella. I said no thanks. walked to the end to the beach bar - kanai? bar and the guy there said, $10 barbados ($5 US) for each beach chair and each umbrella. in barbados, it's HOT! you need an umbrella unless you plan to be tanning all day. BUT, you get to use the $$ towards food and drink at the bar. well, we weren't expecting to stay too long so I didn't think we would spend that much $ so I said at dover, they only charge $5 barbados. he said, well, this is accra beach (rockley). since it wasn't busy, i told him I'll give you $30 barbados for 3 chairs and 2 umbrellas. got it and redeemed that amount at the bar. I did however pay $10 barbados each at a west coast beach a while back. so it's possible to negotiate but i guess it may depend on traffic that day - during high season, accra beach can get crazy busy. oh, btw, some day passes includes towels & guest change suites. if all in, then food/drinks.

Are there additional benefits with a day pass there other than use of the pool? I am wondering if a day pass would be worth it.

Would I need to contact the Hilton ahead of time about a day pass?

Hi,

We went to the Hilton and would recommend it. The cost was Barbados $70

per person approx £22 each. However we had the full use of the Pool/Beach area

Towels etc and it also included Lunch and a drink. I think the Taxi Fare was

US$8 per person each way.

The Beach is fabulous and it also has a breakwater at one end.

We mailed the hotel prior to arriving but I don't think you needed a reservation

it was very quiet and the pool area was lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

We went to the Hilton and would recommend it. The cost was Barbados $70

per person approx £22 each. However we had the full use of the Pool/Beach area

Towels etc and it also included Lunch and a drink. I think the Taxi Fare was

US$8 per person each way.

The Beach is fabulous and it also has a breakwater at one end.

We mailed the hotel prior to arriving but I don't think you needed a reservation

it was very quiet and the pool area was lovely.

Good to know. I think we are going to go there. My husband loves to dive, and he found out that they Hilton has a dive shop as well.

Were you able to get floats there too? I do not have to have one, but would be happy if I could.

We plan to go to Lobster Alive at Carlisle Bay, which we understand is a 10 minute taxi ride or 25 minutes walk from the port. For $15 we get two lounge chairs, a huge umbrella and 3 drinks (rum or soft drink). It will be ideal for us!

That's where we have been going for the past three times we've stopped in Barbados. And the rum punch is yummy! Even if you don't need to go in, take a peek inside at their lobster pools. Interesting!

1241345148_092(400x300).jpg.898699e74ee66f29de669aa1987bb5da.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
We were there last January and spent the day at Carlisle Bay. When we asked the taxi driver to take us to Carlisle Bay he dropped us at 'Harbor Lights', which is a club or rather a building you walk through to rent the chairs and umbrella. I think we made a good choice. A short walk up the beach and you'll come across the Boatyard and Lobsters Alive. I'm glad we were at 'Carlisle Bay'. You could definitely tell a difference between the three areas on the beach from the type of rented chairs. Boatyard and Lobsters Alive seemed much more congested, the lounge chairs were not as nice and the over all atmosphere on the beach was not as quiet as Carlisle Bay. Although there is not much space between the three beaches (a short leisurely walk), you can see a distinct difference. We plan to return to 'Harbor Lights'/Carlisle Bay next March....most definitely.

Just an FYI....Actually, all three of those choices are on 'Carlisle Bay'...

Thanks for the info on Harbour Lights, I have heard alot on Lobster Alive and Boatyard, was looking for some comparison...

Let me start by saying we are beach bums. This upcoming cruise will take us to Barbados for the first time. I am researching beaches now. We would like a peaceful, relaxing beach day. For us, quiet is key. We are not looking for a party atmosphere. We would like to have chairs, umbrella, changing/bathroom facilities, and food/drink. We are open to getting a day pass at a resort if needed. Please give me your suggested beach recommendations. How far from the ship? Can I get a taxi there? I have never been so I need to learn everything to expect.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd look closely at Accra/Rockley beach down in the Worthing area or do a day pass at the Hilton on Needhams Point (same area, just a little west). Should be about a US$15-20 cab ride one way, but fill the cab up and costs go down to maybe US$5-7/ea one way).

Great beach with a new boardwalk, vendors, etc.

You can actually find a little solitude here if it's not on a weekend.

This is where many locals go. Breeze is generally better here than on Carlisle.

Have a a great holiday and please come back to see us again. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd look closely at Accra/Rockley beach down in the Worthing area or do a day pass at the Hilton on Needhams Point (same area, just a little west). Should be about a US$15-20 cab ride one way, but fill the cab up and costs go down to maybe US$5-7/ea one way).

Great beach with a new boardwalk, vendors, etc.

You can actually find a little solitude here if it's not on a weekend.

This is where many locals go. Breeze is generally better here than on Carlisle.

Have a a great holiday and please come back to see us again. :)

Thank you very much for this information. We will have to look into it.

We are looking forward to visiting your island!

• 4 weeks later...

HATED the Boatyard when we went a few years ago. I would not say it is a quiet beach by any means. Jet skis and boats pulling in all over the place - almost running over my nephew - chairs were very crappy. Never again. I didn't realize when I got the quote from Hilton that it was in Barbados Dollars. That makes a huge difference.

Will be going in December 2011, and back to the harbor bar/inn. its a little past Lobster Alive very quiet, this will the 3rd year ina row we'll be going there. wife doesnt wanna go anywhere else. white sands( i think there is pink hue to it), gentle sloping beach. not deep. perfect as far as she's concerned. near where we were at, I stumbled upon a little area where some locals had cleaned some flying fish and deposited the remains in the water near the shore and the fish and sea turtles were nearby having a snack

oh, in addition, we're normally off the ship by 9 or 9:30 so we can be the some of the first people on the beach around 10am, so as to have choices in chairs. and then we have a good 4-5hrs on the beach

How much are the chairs? Also, is there access to changing room/bathrooms? Showers? Food and drink? Is it an inn that offers day passes?

How much are the chairs? Also, is there access to changing room/bathrooms? Showers? Food and drink? Is it an inn that offers day passes?

We were at Harbour Lights last week. It was $20 give/take for two loungers and an umbrella. Changing rooms next to the bar and bathrooms upstairs that were fairly clean (I'm picky). There was a bar that you can also order food from. It's not an inn, just a restaurant/club with loungers in front. The water was very nice. Lots of locals getting you to buy stuff though.

We were at Harbour Lights last week. It was $20 give/take for two loungers and an umbrella. Changing rooms next to the bar and bathrooms upstairs that were fairly clean (I'm picky). There was a bar that you can also order food from. It's not an inn, just a restaurant/club with loungers in front. The water was very nice. Lots of locals getting you to buy stuff though.

Thank you.

Archived